Author Topic: Mystery wood? Any ideas?  (Read 4609 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Mystery wood? Any ideas?
« on: June 22, 2007, 07:37:54 pm »
These are some stacking strips from the mill I work for. The boss said they were samples. He didn't buy any of them and gave me these. I ask him what kind of wood they were and all he knew was that it was from South America and that they were too expensive for us to use.  All I know is that they are very hard to break. It's very dense and hard to cut and has the sharpest splinters of any wood i've ever seen. Let me tell ya, it hurts worse than a catfish horn!
  I have 4 or 5 pieces 6' long x 1-1/4" wide x 9/16" thick.   Any idea as to what it is? SW

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

duffontap

Re: Mystery wood? Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:06:57 pm »
Ipe, Mahogany, Bubinga?  I would guess Mahogany looking at the grain.  They all make great backed bows.

J. D. Duff

Mahogany pictured:

[attachment deleted by admin]

jcougar

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:07:16 pm »
Looks like Ipe.  That's just a guess, though.

duffontap

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:08:11 pm »
I changed my mind--I don't know.  Ha, ha.  Good luck. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:10:34 pm »
.....................Looks like what is called partridgewood or coffeewood in south america. Tree is most common in Venezuela I think, some in Brazil an Peru. Very heavy an dense and tough ta cut like ya said. (Caesalpina spp.).Straight grained with streaks as ya see. Sg of about 1.00 I think. Ive never worked with it but I saw some once an regret not pickin' it up, its kinna like Ipe exceptin' courser. Had a small piece of it that a rasp woulnd't touch !LOL. I know some euro countries use it fer railroad ties 'cause it dont decay, what specific country I dont remember....... seewhat it does as bowwood, what the hay! ;D...bob
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:56:22 am by Kowechobe »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 12:30:23 pm »
Sorry Shannon. I'm no good with exotic woods :-\ :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline longfletch

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 04:31:30 am »
looks like ipe, the last pic with all the splinters looks just like my ipe :( :P
bryan
i like poetry, long walks and the beach and poking dead things with a stick

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 04:51:38 am »
The colour and texture scream "Bulletwood!" to me, as does the rest of SW's description. Mahogany or bubinga? No way.

Tuukka