Author Topic: what would you do  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Matt S.

Re: what would you do
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 04:06:40 pm »
Awesome.  If a red oak board bow contest is what it will take to show you that red oak board makes a dang fine bow then we can have a little friendly contest.  What is the contest for?    Longevity?  Accuracy? Speed?   In that order is how I rank a bow... How are we to compare bows?  We would have to give them all to a separate party for judging... someone unbiased and has a chronograph... Also I guess all the bows are going to have to be shot with the same arrow... Orchestrate the contest and tell me where to send my bow and I am in.  :)

That sounds like it could be a fun and friendly competition. I know I wouldn't have a chance to "win" but I also have never compared my bows to anyone else's, so I really don't know how well mine perform.

colt, sorry for derailing this thread.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 04:10:45 pm »
It does look like there is some run off on your board, but if you back it then you should be good to go up to about 50# in a 66 ntn bow, but you may go ahead and make it 72" if you have that much. The good thing about it is if you break it then it's not a big hole in your wallet if you start over :) go for it and if you break it get another one. I have seen some people say they use a paper grocery sack to back their bows, never tried it but they say it works.

That contest sounds like fun, I was actually toying around with a piece of red oak lumber when I was making my trade bow but decided to use a piece of Osage instead. Only reason I picked Osage was not everyone has access to it, so that made up my mind.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:16:43 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline colt

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 08:52:31 pm »
i started floor tillering after i cut the profile out and backed it with linnen. i also shortened the riser block a bit to give the limbs a little more room the length is 68 inches and i'm shooting for a pretty light 45 lbs at my 28 inch draw. i still have a bunch of scraping to do so i may end up scraping the knot completely away since the limbs are still a bit thick. overall i think it might turn out. i'll post the finished product when i get it done. and don't worry about it matt ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 10:38:24 pm »
What would I do? I would be careful of that knot. Every board I've tried to make into a bow that had even the tiniest of knots broke at that knot. But that's me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 11:24:07 pm »
Good choices Colt, we'll be anxious to see the final product.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.