Author Topic: Phragmites Australis?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Phragmites Australis?
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »
Anybody here ever use Phragmites Australis (common reed) as arrow material?  I have a friend who does native plant restoration here in S. Indiana and I let him borrow several PA issues.  After his next trip home from killing invasives, he brought me a bundle of (common reed) and told me that he had read in PA that this material was used widely for arrows.  I've made a few, but it seems like the wall thickness is a little thin.  I tried to heat treat the shafts and that seemed to work out ok, but I broke a lot of them while straightening them before I could get them heat treated. I'm far from being even familiar with this process though.  Anybody else use these kinda shafts?  I can post pics if anyone is interested. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Keenan

Re: Phragmites Australis?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:50 pm »
Juniper Junky has been playing around with it some. I think some of the tribes up here in the NW used it allot.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:28 am »
"Juniper Junky" didn't show up when I searched.  Is e' on PA.com?  There is a native variety, but what I got is an invasive European strain.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:37:39 pm »
jackcrafty goes by allergic hobbit on you tube, works with phragmites on their, dont know what type, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »
The good stuff has thick walls.  Around here, in our dry climate, we have a type of phragmites that is excellent for arrows.  I don't know the scientific name for it, though.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr