Author Topic: What would you do with it?  (Read 3155 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
What would you do with it?
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:53 pm »
I was give a set of osage billets. After splicing them together it has a total length of 64". The widest part of each limb is 1 5/8".  My draw is 28.5". Should I build a standard deflexed long bow, steam some statics in, or give the tips a good flippin'? The billets are clean without any knots or bad whoopy do's in them. I cant make up my own mind so Im hoping somebody will tell me what to do with it! :D
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: What would you do with it?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:48:10 pm »
PICS, we need pics!  Even if it's a shot in the mold basement  ::)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:06:07 pm »
Pearlie, there is plenty of wood to do whatever you want.  You could recurve the tips or just reflex them. I'd keep it wide all the way out then reduce the width just before the curves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »
Is this a straight or reflexed glue-up Pearly?

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13:27 pm »
Hey PD I think I would make a bow out of it, but that is just me.  If you like fishing the shallows you could use it as a push pole. or even make a walking stick.   :o  lol we need some pics bud  not that I will be much help but Id like to see them anyway.  seems like a long draw for a static that short and narrow but I am new to this

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:22 pm »
Its steamed reflex Artsy. Maybe an 1 1/2". One limb was naturally reflexed and the other deflexed. I evened it out with steam and a touch was made up for at the splice. I was leaning towards Pats idea. Keep the width until the bend starts. Im thinking a flipcurve. Not too much, and not too little, and kind of long. I will post pics in a few days of a roughed out bow. Thanks guys
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:10:24 am »
The longer you make the bends the closer to the fades you should bring the bend.  I can easily make a 60" osage(and elm this past winter) static recueve for my 26" draw and usually tiller them out to 28" .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:35 am »
Steaming is fine to make corrections with Pearly, but I would make those corrections permanent with dry heat.

I would also look at a design that will allow a longer draw through a shorter bow. For me, that would be a pryamid design. Handle type makes a difference also. Here,  the bulbous handle would suit your needs.

It's all 'bout trade-offs Pearly, just pick and choose what you need, store is open.........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:52:32 am »
The bulbous handle is for sure Art. I know I need as much limb working as I can get. I have a bit of a grain swirl right at mid limb. The same thing almost sunk my ship on the last recurve I worked on. I cant narrow it down too much there without the the whole thing hinging. This is going to be a fun one, but the freebies always are right? I did glue in (2) 3/8 oak dowells through the splice. I just dont trust URAC alone with a shorter bow and lots of pressure.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:52 am »
The urac alone would've held it just fine Pearly. Those dowels just weakened your splice IMO. But being Osage, probably your saving grace ;D........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:58:37 am »
I didnt like the looks of the splice at all Art. I didnt trust it one bit actually. Me and URAC have never been friends.....actually me and glue of any sort dont get along. I would prefer a solid stave with no backing or glue.  Im sure its operator error, but hey?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:29 am »
Why not just take the stave "as is" and make a bow. You might be pleasantly surprised as to how well it shoots. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jpitts

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:13:53 am »
What about a sudbury profile with more pronounced tip flips ?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:43 am »
Good idea Jimmy. I love that profile. Geaorge I plan on doing just that, I just want to optimize what I have to work with. Its a skimpy stave.