Author Topic: Field-maple? (Acer campestre)  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Holten101

Field-maple? (Acer campestre)
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »
I pretty sure im not the only one here who's car looks like this after a short, weekend vacation to the countryside;-):

Nice having a forgiving wife-)

I got me some Hazle and some Ash in that stash...as well as what I belive to be Field Maple (Acer campestre):

and a leaf:

I have been looking for a straight piece from this type of tree for a while and finally spotted that beauty...had to do some reckless climbing and cutting to get it...but its bagged now:-)

So...is it Field Maple...and what can I expect from this wood (only maple species I have experience with is Norway Maple)?

Any help is appreciated...thanks:-)

Cheers

Offline dwardo

Re: Field-maple? (Acer campestre)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:50:55 pm »
I walk past a few of these that have escaped from the parks and have wondered teh same, alas they are none bow looking bit so not tried it yet.
One of our acers has to be a good bow wood so let us know!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: Field-maple? (Acer campestre)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »
yes that is acer campestre -field maple, it grows a lot over here in england, I never tried to make a bow out of it but have it on my list of woods to try, it is one of the hardest of the acers, nearly as hard as rock maple, they sometimes used it in the core of horn bows in eastern europe. should make a decent bow.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......