Author Topic: Simple D bow  (Read 9051 times)

Offline RyanY

Simple D bow
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:12:01 pm »
I wanted to make a lighter, narrow, deep bellied D bow for shooting since I never practice with one bow or on a consistent basis. This one is hickory, 68” tip to tip, ~40#@28”. Dimensions: 1 ¼” for the middle 8” tapering to 1” at mid limb, tapering to 3/8” nocks. As narrow as I made this one it still turned out pretty flat. For as heavy as it started out it seems really narrow. There should probably be more bend in the middle but I wanted it to be tillered elliptically so that’s why there’s not more. After a light heat treating it retains just a little reflex. Oddly enough the top limb is dead straight while the bottom took more set, yet the bottom is stronger. Just a simple leather handle wrap, no tip overlays. Just a simple bow. Thanks for looking and sorry about the weird pictures.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Simple D bow
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
 You nailed that Tiller, very nice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
Nice bow!! I have one just like it planned... A no frills makes meat lasts a lifetime type bow... I like it...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:35:40 pm »
very nice bow unbraced through full draw . hickorys the bomb when you know what your doing !!

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »
well you know what your doing never seen a bad bow you made  i got 2 wouldn't sell for anything.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:59:15 pm »
Mullet, Tiller was tough to figure out. The bow looked different from both sides. Luckily I was able to bring it together at the end.

Ifrit617, When made correctly these bows are really awesome. After seeing your molly I'm excited to see your next bow.

Ken75, I've been making my hickory bows from the same tree and I'm beginning to figure out what I need to do to get them to come out just the way I want. The stuff is so tough I bet I could draw the string off this one!

Thomas h, Thank you very much. You should have seen my first bows. Most of them didn't make it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I sincerely appreciate it. :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »
Simply done ,oh so beautiful !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:16 am »
I love this one man!  Plane Jane, but what a beauty :)  I hope to get my hands on some hickory one of these days.  I can't find it locally.  I'm amazed at how little wood it seems to take to make a hunting weight bow from it.  And it seems like it handles needle-tips very well too, judging by yours, and the trade bow that Darcy (DEllis) sent me.  I'm inspired!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:40:57 am »
Another nice bow, Ryoon!  The tiller looks great to me.  I like the simple grip and especially the narrow tips. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:51:46 am »
Buckeye Guy, I also find some of the simplest bows are the most beautiful. Thanks!

Cameroo, Hickory makes excellent bows. I almost always heat treat them but it isn't necessary. I think almost all woods can take needle tips. It took me forever to get them down to that 1/4" on the other bow I posted. It seems scary but if everything is in line and you can keep the string on they work great. Definitely the way to go for good speed. :)

MWirwicki, Thank you.

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 03:03:01 am »
Nice bow! you nailed it, well done!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:01:13 am »
that looks great, you nailed the tiller too haha- i just finished the rough tiller on a real similar bow today actually, ill post it its a bit longer but its hickory as well- great work brother -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:27 am »
Very nice work,Tiller looks very good to me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:32 am »
Clean simple, very ELBish nice one :D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:03:14 am »
Pretty lil plain jane there ryan