Author Topic: Coral Neck Knife  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Coral Neck Knife
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:34:12 pm »
My buddy Erik (Snakeman) knapped me this blade from a piece of coral Eddie (Mullet) sent me in a trade.  I hafted the blade on an antler tine I had laying around and made the neck sheath for it.  Blade is mounted with pitch and sinew.  I am really proud of this one and I am trying to get Erik to teach me to knap my own blades.  Thanks Eddie for the coral.  We heat treated a little bit of it under a campfire last weekend and it knaps waaaaay better after the heat treating.  Thanks for looking guys.  :) :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: Coral Neck Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:35:51 pm »
LOL I'm gonna wear my knife to work tomorrow, I wonder how well it is gonna go with black scrubs?   ;D ;D ;D  Can't wait to see what my co-workers say.  They already think I am a little off anyhow...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
 That's a cute one. And yea, raw coral is no fun compared to heat treated coral :).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:18:32 am »
Amazing what a little heat will do. Cool knife Josh..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:45:39 am »
very well done.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38:09 am »
Sweet.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »
thanks guys.  :)

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »
Be careful, along with bow making and flute making, you will end up with another hobby...and this one can get real expensive, real fast.  Or, how fast can I turn a 5 gallon bucket of pretty rock that I just paid XXX dollars for into fishtank gravel?  Except I got a heck of a deal on EIGHT buckets...I think I got 10 or 15 points out of them.  Small points.  Real SMALL points.  You coming to Moundville this weekend or going to MOJAM?  Bill   

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »
Thanks Bill! :)  Me and Erik are gonna be at Moundville Sat. Morning... Are you gonna be there? 

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »
did you see Erik's slab mahogany obsidian knife a few topics down?  It turned out pretty dang nice. :)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58:44 am »
wow thats a really nice.......holy crap be careful Josh theres something on your chin  >:D

beautiful point !!, ya gotta get to knappin we all need another hobby

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:18:10 am »
dontcha have a red oak bow you need to be working on or somethin ken instead of picking on me an my goatee?!?  ;D ;D  if i get any more habits err....hobbies i think its gonna start cutting in on my sleeping time.  ;D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 01:47:57 am »
Sweet looking knife ! Good work.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 02:00:28 am »
I plan to be there all three days.  A guy wants to film me cutting down a tree with a pecked and ground ax.  That ought to be worth a few laughs.  Bill

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 02:02:24 am »
cool!  I wanna watch that too.  See ya there Bill.  :)

thanks frank!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:06:29 am by Josh »