Author Topic: Newbie to bow building  (Read 2429 times)

Offline frankg

Newbie to bow building
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:08:33 am »
Hi , new kid to bow building here. I have a floor tillered hickory bow stave from rudderbow that I will be trying on . Can anyone point me to where I could find the items to make for working this into a bow ? Such as the tillering tools and any other that would be usefull . I have quite a few tools for gun work as I have made many flintlock guns over the years , so finishing tools I have . But I dont have any bow specific tools other than a fletch jig and bowstring jig .

Thanks , FrankG
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Newbie to bow building
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:24:53 am »
If it is already floor tillered, you might get away with just using a cabinet scraper.  If you don't use scrapers, a knife blade or half a pair of scissors makes a fairly decent scraper. 

With a little practice using a scraper blade many people are left with very little sanding to finish the surface.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:34:11 am »
Welcome to our addiction, Frank. Like JW said a cabinet scraper will get you there but add a wood rasp and you will get there a bit quicker. Generally quickness and wood bows don't go together but occasionally a little quickness won't hurt.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline frankg

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:47:36 am »
Thanks guys ! I have some old planer knive and power hacksaw blades I could probaly make some scrapers from .  ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:54:34 am »
  I use a glass from one side of a pair of old eye glass's they never where out. But you can use anything for a scraper. REALLY GOOD F YOU HAVE ANY DIPS IN YOUR STAVE.The best will have a burr on one side. I use a rasp maining on the whole bowand for tillering but just starting out a scraper takes off less wood. Remember once the woods off you can go back. SO SLOW IS BEST.
  Also build you a tillering tree with a scale. This way theres no guessing weight to draw leanth. You can hit with in a couple pounds to the draw leanth you want. As you build bows you'll be able to hit it right on. DRAW WEIGHT TO DRAW LENTH.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »
Someone on here once said "Softly, softly, catchee monkey".

If you are building flintlocks, and paying the prices that decent curly maple commands, you understand completely what I'm saying. 

I've got an early Lancaster with Siler lock, Colerain swamped barrel, and brass parts from Tennessee Valley Manufacturing that I've mostly assembled but still needs finishing.  Wanna swap talents????   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline frankg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »
JW , if you have it to finish stage yer on the home stretch  ;D

Heres a 45 cal. caplock I built with a new (old stock) Douglas 44" barrel , Myrtlewood stock (from plank) with handmade furniture and set triggers .

Is there a sketch of a tiller tree here bouts ?

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »
try three rivers archery they have all the tools youll need to finish the bow

Offline frankg

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 12:00:17 am »
I saw a tiller tree posted made from a 2x4 that had an eyebolt at bottem  with a rope going up to a pulley then back down to another pulley that was attached to the eyebolt . Upper one was for hooking to string and or scale and string. I went out to shop and dug through my stuff and found a couple pulleys and made one . I may have messed up tho' as where the handle of bow would rest on top of 'tree' to the first measurement mark on 'tree' I made it 6" then continued with 1" increments up to 32"  . But I now realize that it should have been the thickness of an average handle ? Am I thinking right on that ?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 01:15:24 am »
Yeah Frank. I think mine is about 1 1/2" above the block the bow rests on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC