Author Topic: kentucky coffee bean lateral crack? (pics added)  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Bow Nut

kentucky coffee bean lateral crack? (pics added)
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »
I just got a kentucky coffe bean stave in today that I found on ebay for a good price.  It is mister white chair so I figured it would be a good stave.  It has a latural crack running right up the middle of it about half the lenght of the stave.  looks as if it is only one to two rings deep though.  my question is can I chase a ring on kentuckey coffee bean or do I need to keep the sap layer on?  If I can chase a ring I can still use this piece if i have to keep the sap wood i am not sure what I can do with it unless I want a 3/4" wide bow lol.

thanks

I got a hackberry and another coffee bean stave from same guy as well and they are extreamly nice staves so over all I am happy but would like to make use of this one if posible
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:32:15 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: kentucky coffee bean lateral crack?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »
I have never made a Bow with Kentucky Coffee Bean...but I have never been afraid of a lateral crack before either...as long as the Crack doesn't ride off towards a Side... I know Mulberry...Osage....Black Locust....and Persimmon will do this...and I have made Bow's that were just fine with these Cracks....as for following a Ring...can You see them...so you can differentiate one from another??? If so...then there is no reason you can not chase another Ring...if you feel You need to....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »
yea the rings are 3/16 to a 1/4 inch think and there is a destinct color variation from early to late wood should be like chasing a ring on osage as far as knowing when you have hit one and following it.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »
Should work just fine then..how deep is the crack? A Picture would be great...If you are really worried about it...Laverne will send you another ...I would put money on it!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »
pics the end is hard to see it at all but it goes about half way into the second ring and the pick on the back is about where it finishes up heading to one side that is about 2 1/2 feet down the stave the stave is 72 inches.  does not look as bad in the pics as it dows in person it is fairly wide I can fit the tip of my finger nail in it.

Offline El Destructo

Re: kentucky coffee bean lateral crack? (pics added)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:45:31 pm »
Chase it...looks like there is plenty of Wood to do so...but I would still call Laverne....and see what He says...might get a free stave out of the deal....He's fair...that's for sure.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:50:13 pm »
can you PM me his number?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »
I am looking through my Emails for it...I think it's on my Old Computer...and it's in the Garage...unplugged...with a Bad hard Drive...so it may be a while...might be better off to go through your emails from Him through eBay...and contact Him that way...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:06:46 pm »
yea I sent him an email a few days ago and have not gotten a response yet and I sent him an email before I purchased and have not gotten a response to that one either.  I must be a busy fella

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:08:55 pm »
with 2113 stave sales...and all positive...I bet He makes it right...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »
yea Im sure he will i ment he must be a busy fella.  he has some good staves and seems to be a hard worker and trys to produce the best product so I am not worried about it I will give him time.  splitting all them logs probably wears him out and keeps him busy. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »
I'd love to have a crack at that stave myself!  Pun intended, but the sentiment's the same.  Looks like a perfectly workable piece of bow wood. 

From the looks of it, the wood is ring porous...soft early wood under hard late wood.  Shouldn't be inpossible to chase it down and eliminate it.  But don't touch it until you hear from the dealer.  Most reasonable stave traders draw the line at wood that has been worked. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

-john
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:15:16 pm »
Like I figured he would, he emailed me and is a very nice guy and offered a refund but I think after what yall said I might tright to work the stave anyway for the experince is priceless and dont want to put him through any extra trouble since there is probably a bow in there somewhere and he probably has his hands full or work already.  looks like it will be easy to chase a ring but might make for a narrow bow should be fun either way

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 07:57:44 pm »
Make sure you send pictures of your progress...and ask questions along the way....and I bet this makes a nice Bow in the end...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:34 pm »
Of the KCT I have worked I found that wider limbs are better.If I was to make another it would be at least 1 1/2" wide to mid limb then taper.

I tried the narrow profile and had sub par results, but I get that alot! :embarassed: