Author Topic: Green Jute Cord Chemical reaction to SuperGlue  (Read 7964 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Green Jute Cord Chemical reaction to SuperGlue
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:42:27 pm »
What do you guys use to seal green jute cord when you use it as a handle wrap?  I just tried super glue and there was a nasty chemical reaction, smoke and burning of the cord.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Green Jute Cord Chemical reaction to SuperGlue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:57 pm »
 Titebond ll works for me, wonder what jute has been treated with?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »
Super glue reacts with heat, moisture and cellulose. The reaction you saw was just the normal reaction to the cellulose in the jute. I use super glue to finish pens I turn and have glued bits of paper towel (lots of cellulose) to the skin on my palm (warmth and moisture). Imagine that smoking and burning coming from your skin!

I haven't used it yet but PatB has mentioned using "Massey finish" before, which is epoxy thinned with acetone, I believe.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:10 pm »
Yup, had the same thing happen this week when I SG'd para-cord on my boy's bow as a handle wrap...it started smokin' and he started to look at me a bit strange  ;D  Smells pretty nasty too.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26:52 pm »
Thanks guys,  I might give the "masey finish" a try; on a test piece.  ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:23 pm »
Tightbond 2 works for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:17 pm »
Another vote for TB II
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:32 am »
I've never used TBII onlyTBIII.  TBIII is brown when dried.  Does TBII dry clear?  The whole reason for using green jute cord is because I want a green handle wrap.  Maybe I should explain my process.  I wrap the jute then glued over it to adhere it to the wood and to give something of a moisture bearier.  I suppose I could apply glue to the wood then wrap the jute around it, which in saying it out loud probably makes more sense.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:10:33 am »
S/G and leather also has a bad reaction! The smell is really nasty and really bad for you. I usualy cant breath out my nose for a few days if I get one wiff, im trying to give it up but it is just so good for cracks and knots.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:16:02 am by nathan elliot »

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:23:06 am »
try spray varathane if ya just want to seal it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 09:38:21 am »
Straight Titebond ll dries a little yellow--kind of like faded old varnish. I usually "water" it down a little so that the handle (or cloth, if used for applying a backing) appears natural and not too thick or "plasticee". You can add a second watered down coat if the handle doesn't seem tight.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55:12 am »
For wrapping handle cordage the easiest glue would be plain old Elmers. It dries clear and seems to be pretty tough. Not the wood glue but the white stuff.

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 02:28:31 pm »
I used to use Elmer's and TB glues to seal cordage handle wraps but found it got tacky after my sweaty hands were on it for a while. Now I use Massey finish to seal cordage handle wraps.
  I have had the same reaction with superglue when filling knots with saw dust. I do it in layers and in a well ventelated area and try my best not to breath the fumes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »
Thanks everyone.  All the suggestion are very helpful.  I just remember that I bought some Krazy Glue designed for leather and wood.  I might give that a test run.  I'll probably glue the cord to the handle with TB III to hold down a bit then use Masey finish to seal it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 10:28:34 pm »
I know this is an old post, but just found it while looking for info on Massey finish.

I used super glue on black paracord 500lb. I believe and didn't have any of the adverse reactions you mentioned. Maybe it has something to do with the dye that was used to make it green?
I soaked the edges of my paracord a little at a time as I was wrapping around the handle, then soaked it a bit more to make it all stick real good after the wrap was done. I really like the feel of a paracord wrap, feels very nice in the hand and doesn't have that slippery feeling that finished wood does, makes a nice firm grip.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32