Author Topic: Another osage Recurve Sinew backed snake skin backed  (Read 11013 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Another osage Recurve Sinew backed snake skin backed
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »
Ok this is my 4th completed selfbow. sinew and snake skined backe osage.  It was a short stave 61 inches long after being recurved it is 56 inches N2N when strung.  the fades are 1 3/4 inches wide and tapers down from there to 1 1/8 inches at the start of the recurve and from there tapers down to 3/8 inches at the tips.    It has deer antler knocks Texas diamond back skin backed and wrapped around the recurved section.  I wrapped the handle with brown tanned deer skin and made deer skin pads for the arrow rest as well.  The arrow rest is as close to center shot as I could get it and still feel I had enough wood there for durability.  this is the one I had the rattles mounted on the handle but when test firing be bow many times before finishing I bumped the rattles kinda hard on the target when pulling the arrows out and broke them in half.  Oh well I like it better with out anyway.  It pulls 50 pounds at 28 inches I pull it to 48 pounds as my draw is not 28 inches.  at 48 pounds it shoots as fast or faster than my typical longbows of 55 and 60 pounds so I am happy with the light draw weight.  I though it would take longer for the sinew to cure but my shop is very dry, I run a dehumidifier 24/7  and it stays pretty hot in there during the day.  I tested it with my moisture meter and it read out at 3 percent so I went on ahead and finished it up.  when I unstring it after shooting for  a while it takes about 1/4 inch of sting follow which supprised me with all that bending it does, must be the sinew.  Only takes about 10 minutes to go back to normal.  does sinew help in that way?  Any way tell me what ya think? 

Offline Bow Nut

Re: Another osage Recurve Sinew backed snake skin backed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »
more pics
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:30:58 pm by Bow Nut »

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »
NICE. I like it. Im a sucker for a well made and drawn recurve. Yes the sinew will aid in lower set and your width is a hair wide which also helps reduce your set. Good job. Man your pumping those bows out. Lately I haven't been able to finish one in awhile to save my life. Things keep popping up and getting in my way. But in a good way tho  :)

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:40:13 pm »
Thanks yea I kept it wide because it seemed short to me for such a high performance bow that is why I added sinew as well.  well in that case it will be more rewarding when you do get one finished up,  I have had alot of free time lately after work but once I start one I cant stop lol. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »
Very nice bow.  I really like the curves, and the rattlesnake sking just tops it off.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:52 pm »
Wow that is a beauty, looking real good in the bends and I bet it does fling the arrows out.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:04:17 pm »
Man, that is definitely a touch of Beautiful...
I love the lines and really like the way you wrapped the tips.

Did you add in your string channels after you glued up the skins?
If so did you have any issues going through the skins?

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:10:53 pm »
yea I added them after and no issues just carefully filed them in the edgest wer a bit rough but when I fine sanded and burnished it took all that away.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »
Very Nice.

Thank You Sir.

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »
I think the only thing wrong is your photography. That bow deserves a better background than that floor. No offense...just some pointers for future reference if you really wanna show off your nice work. Because you spent all that time creating a beautiful work of art,so give her her due.  ;)

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 05:47:27 pm »
I hear ya black hawk loud and clear and feel the same way.  unfortuantly nothing here in this 120 year old building looks any better lol and I dont get home till after dark or I would do it with the woods as a back ground I will have to figure out somthing better asap maybe it is time I invest in a elk hide or somthing for such occasions. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 05:52:11 pm »
Sweet rig Matt! Your first recurve got my blood pumping. Nice work
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 06:51:29 pm »
I like everything about that and the numbers are stunning.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
Top notch all the way Bow Nut. really like the small section of skin on the back with the string grooves
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline dbb

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:58 pm »
Another beautiful bow,nice work!
Im new enough to selfbows that i still prefer clean straight lines...i guess a case of lingering FG sickness :D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...