Author Topic: holmgard-penobscot being planned  (Read 2585 times)

Offline rkeltner

holmgard-penobscot being planned
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:32:21 am »
having been mostly compleated, the silk backed holmgard i've been working on has come out underweight, soooo.... i have decided to build a a smaller holmgard bow to turn it into a penobscot. i know this is mixing disciplines, but i have a feeling they will mix well! i have built 1 penobscot, for similar reasons, and have been looking for a reason to do another one, so this will be it. the existing bow is hickory from a tree that i cut several years ago, as will be the back-bow. this will be an interesting try form the back bow, however, because i will have to chase a ring on it due to insects chewing up the wood under the bark. i let it cure with the bark on, not realizing this could happen! now wiser and older, i' looking forward to getting to work, and posting pictures along the way

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: holmgard-penobscot being planned
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »
If you don't post pictures we will deputize a vigilance committee to break into your home, steal the bow, and have it thoroughly photographed, chronographed, passed around to anyone that wants to take a few shots thru it. 

Even if it fails, it adds to the body of knowledge.  Post it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »
hah! thats funny! i love the banter in this place!

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »
sounds interesting cant wait to see some pics.

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:23:17 pm »
What banter? >:(

Lane

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:55 pm »
We had to use a rusty drawknife on the last guy that refused to post pics in here.   :o
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:15:30 pm »
banter is wise cracky comments and ribbing  that brings laughter from everybody involved.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:29:44 am »
Gah! Banter's the only found in Monty Python!  ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »
warning! i have a large vocabulary and i'm not afraid to use it! hah! >:D :P ::)

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:44 pm »
just some quick details, the holmgaard come out at a target level poundage of 35 @28". kinda dissappointing when i wanted a good hunting weight.  this is what led to me building my first penobscott. the back bow as it currently stands has the classic holmgaard profile, and is needing something over 100 lbs. to move a couple of inches! my goal for the back bow is probably 80 lbs., but more could be in the works if it doesn't overpower the primary bow. i'm hoping to have a substantial adjustment range, not to mention that i'm hoping to benefit from the properties that a holmgaard so sweet shooting! pics have been taken and will be posted at first opportunity!

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »
well, i've been working on the secondary bow for this project, and have run into a problem! whilst heat treating and reflexing the secondary, i got carried away and put too much strength into the reflexing part, and got a belly crack! nothing that can't be worked around, but disheartening, anyway! the goal is to keep the secondary very stiff, 80 to 100 lbs. at 3" or 4" so i can get a lot of compounding effect. hopefully the crack isn't a harbinger of problems to come! pictures are being taking, but i haven't had a chance to get them uploaded, yet!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:43 pm »
The two principles work well together....and look awesome as well...when I get home....I'll post a picture or two....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:07:54 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome