Author Topic: knapped beads?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline seabass

knapped beads?
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:26:09 pm »
hey guys,my sister bought these at an auction.they were selling all kinds of found arrowheads and spear points.i believe that these are knapped beads.i wanted to post them to get your opinion.thanks,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Tower

Re: knapped beads?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:25:13 pm »
They look ground not knapped. In my opinion.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:43 pm »
tower,i think that you maybe right.you can't tell from the pics,but some are scalloped and look to be flaked.they might have done a little of both.i was wondering if anyone has ever seen or found anything like these.thanks,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:48:50 pm »
Those look like conch or whelk shell beads.  They are ground.  Most today come from SE Asia, where they are pretty much hand made, so they can be very difficult to tell from the originals.  FWIW, if those are origional beads, that many, without some sort of documentation explaining how the first person got them, means that those beads have a really excellant chance of coming from a grave. 

Those beads look in too good of shape to have been lying in the open or even buried, I suspect they are modern.  Bill

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »
Bill,the beads are more like stone then shell.the only thing i know about them is they came from an auction in columbus ohio.my brother-in-law and my sister bought the last bag of broken points.these was in the bag of points.i'll try to go resize my pic of the other heads and blades that was in the bag.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »
here are the other points and knife blades that came in the bag with the beads.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:12:22 pm »
 Can you post a picture of the hole in the bead? A good clue if they are old is the shape of the hole. Look and see if it is cone shaped like drilled with a stone drill. A machine drill will not have a cone shaped hole.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:40 pm »
Eddie,i will check them out.they may be modern.my sister just bought what she thought was arrowheads.she didn't pay much.these where the ones no one else wanted.i'll try to get some closer pics.btw i love that new canteen and flute.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:43 pm »
i just looked at them again Eddie.the holes are cone shaped.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:28:35 am »
Top row, far right looks like a Thebes, the one directly underneath it is a Dalton.  Conch shell has been mistaken for stone, they were used for axes, picks, hammers and hoes.  Bill

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:37:39 am »
thanks for the info Bill.i don't know much about rocks.i am getting ready to try my hand at knapping,so i had better start learning about the rocks.thanks again,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »
  I've seen ( real) conch shells and I say there real, look at the holes drilled there all different sizes. Made with a stone drill. The ones I seen had holes dilled just like these,really uneven.I also seen knapped beads really not beads (little big for beads)  but small pendents I'd guess.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 07:01:15 pm »
thanks crooketarrow.i believe them to be real.the holes are uneven and you can see the cone shape from the hand drill.i had never see beads or pendants like these.i was curious as to where they were from or who could have made them.my sister said the people running the auction told her that all the artifacts where found.where i do not know.the auction was in columbus ohio.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »
 The points look like they are from that area. It would not be unusual to find Conch beads way up there. Tere was a lot of trading going on between the Gulf Coastal tribes and the Mound Builders at that time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:45 pm »
thanks Eddie.the holes are uneven and cone shaped.they maybe shell,i don't no.i have no experience with knapping or rock.i am tring to remedy this problem.thanks for all the info guys,steve
Middletown,Ohio