Author Topic: Static recurves  (Read 8955 times)

blackhawk

Re: Static recurves
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:05 am »
I love any style of recurve,but right now I prefer a longer recurve over a short one(recurve length and not bow length)...I could care less if someone says a shorter one is better performance wise...I say performance shperformance blah blah blah...both will perform really well...I like the longer curve cuts its even smoother drawing and feels more of a stable shot...and IMHO smoothness of draw and one that gains even slightly less in the last few inches of draw will be less susceptible to subtle errors in anchoring at +/- an inch and won't be affected by slighlty under or over drawing...the force draw curve of a long curved static is the plumpest of most all designs,and gives you very high early draw weight,and one that levels off after lift off a few inches from full draw...and is an easy bow to hold at full draw asya should(I'm sorry all you snap shooters you should hold at least a split second n learn how to anchor and you'll be even better)..a bow is not all about performance as so many folks are deceived by that's the notion of what makes a great bow...if made well both short or long static tipped bows perform exceptionally well ....I just like the force draw curve,and the even more smoothness you get from a long static recurve tip

Now in terms of physics the more percentage of the limb is recurve the more energy is stored(to a certain point of course)...now the kicker to that is being able to transfer as much as that energy to the arrow as possible...which greatly comes down to the bowyer himself...and also getting past the dead moving mass out at the tips of the bow...which isn't easy to do.

Sorry for coming in so late..but that's my take on things

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Static recurves
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 10:53:30 pm »
I love any style of recurve,but right now I prefer a longer recurve over a short one(recurve length and not bow length)...I could care less if someone says a shorter one is better performance wise...I say performance shperformance blah blah blah...both will perform really well...I like the longer curve cuts its even smoother drawing and feels more of a stable shot...and IMHO smoothness of draw and one that gains even slightly less in the last few inches of draw will be less susceptible to subtle errors in anchoring at +/- an inch and won't be affected by slighlty under or over drawing...the force draw curve of a long curved static is the plumpest of most all designs,and gives you very high early draw weight,and one that levels off after lift off a few inches from full draw...and is an easy bow to hold at full draw asya should(I'm sorry all you snap shooters you should hold at least a split second n learn how to anchor and you'll be even better)..a bow is not all about performance as so many folks are deceived by that's the notion of what makes a great bow...if made well both short or long static tipped bows perform exceptionally well ....I just like the force draw curve,and the even more smoothness you get from a long static recurve tip

Now in terms of physics the more percentage of the limb is recurve the more energy is stored(to a certain point of course)...now the kicker to that is being able to transfer as much as that energy to the arrow as possible...which greatly comes down to the bowyer himself...and also getting past the dead moving mass out at the tips of the bow...which isn't easy to do.

Sorry for coming in so late..but that's my take on things

Interesting but I see some errors in your reasoning
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com