Author Topic: rock question  (Read 1525 times)

Offline triggerfinger

rock question
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:11:45 pm »
So i spent a few days with paleomanjim on youtube and built what appears to be a decent set of tools, but i cannot find anything in s. ms to work on.  Im headed to co tomorrow to shoot some prairie dogs and have to pick up my little brother in Ok, Our mom lives on the Illinois river which is full of arrow heads and small pieces of various rocks that would prob work, but are very small.  Like silver dollarish size.     So if you had a river full of flintlike gravel, where wouldyou look for more useable pieces.

Or if someone has a better suggestion im very open
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline Tower

Re: rock question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:36:05 pm »
Sliver dollar size is good if you can find some fairly flat ones. As for finding larger ones , keep looking & maybe you will get lucky.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:55:55 pm »
You could just cut some Osage stave's in Illinois and trade for some good rock... :D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:20:45 am »
You could just cut some Osage stave's in Illinois and trade for some good rock... :D

Funny, Im gonna cut some in ks on the way through.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:43:16 pm »
If there are chips that size around, the host rock had to have come from somewhere not terribly far away.  Check with the state geology departments for what types of rock occur where.  Getting permission to collect is another thing entirely.  Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:58:53 pm »
All very true. The big one's are around there somewhere..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:14 am »
my moms husband knew where ther was anoutcrop of what he calls grey flint, and another e calls white.  Needless to say im going there

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 02:07:57 am »
What side of Mississippi are you on?  Around Meridian, there several outcrops of Tallahatta quartite.  Just north of there, you start hitting pockets of jaspar.  And about 2/3rd of the way up the state, you start finding Horse Creek.  There is Tennessee River chert in the northeastern corner of the state. Bill