Author Topic: another question.  (Read 2290 times)

Offline colt

another question.
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:03:25 am »
i recently returned from the wood shop with some loot. i went planning to buy a variety of species to make bows out of and came out with only red oak and ipe. i have a question about the ipe. common practice with this wood is to back it with bamboo or hickory. boo backed ipe is supposed to make a killer bow. i have also heard of ipe self bows. just out of curiosity, how would a fabric backed ipe do? i have some silk and some ipe on hand and would really like to try out of these materials. i can figure that such a bow wouldn't be as fast as one with a bamboo backing, but i think it would still be pretty good and fast. what do you think?

Offline crooketarrow

Re: another question.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:46:49 pm »
  I've never made a board bow in my life or used silk. But I can't see why silk would'nt work. I do know that if your going through all the trouble of makeing a bow. Then hickory or boo would be harder to ad but far better.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline colt

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:54:28 am »
i realize that there are better options, i was just curious what everyone thought. i guess i may try it.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:13:28 am »
I have never seen one backed with fabrick, I would be curious to know what your results would be. Im sure if the grain was straight it would turn out fine but I am guessing the reason they back it primarily with wood (bamboo or hick) is because it is not very strong in tension. If you to try fabrick backing PLEASE report back and let us know how it works for you.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:17:55 am »
I haven't made a board bow from ipe either but the principals are similar. Straight grain with minimal run offs. Because of ipe's tight grain and dark color you may need to do some scraping to see how the grain looks. Also, although I've never backed a bow with silk, there are limits to what kind of violations a fabric backing will protect. On another note, don't assume that an ipe bow will be fast a fast one. It is probably easier to make a slower ipe bow than a fast one because of it's high density. Yes, bows made from ipe can be great performers but design is always key. Make sure to keep your tips narrow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:40:54 pm »
I've made both bbe and  white oak backed epe, if ya got plenty of epe I say try it, imo the problem with epe is miniscule grain swirls and pin nots, and fractures in the grain from falling the trees that ya cant see, probably wrong, but that's what i think, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline colt

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »
i'll try it and report back. i don't see ipe as some magical wood that always makes a fast bow. i planned on keeping the tips pretty darn narrow. right now i'm thinking i might do a pyramid taper. the ipe i got seems good though. i took a long time picking the board out. i had to scrape to just find the end grain. tough stuff. it is quarter sawn and two of the four pieces i cut yesterday have grain running the length of the bow on all sides, lazer straight. i'll get some hickory for one of the but i'm still doing the fabric backing experiment. or maybe i should try rawhide... we'll see. i'm finishing another bow first so there is no rush.