Author Topic: Montana Wildlife  (Read 12246 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Montana Wildlife
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:11:17 pm »
Check out the 2nd biggest grizzly bear ever trapped in Montana.  Trapped last month. Would probably have been the biggest but it had just come out of hibernation.
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/06/19/news/mtregional/news06.txt
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Montana Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:32:20 pm »
Wow!! I'd have to reaclamate my brain to hunt in the North country - round here we're king of the woods. Think I'd feel like I was being watched :-[
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 03:11:27 pm »
That is a big boy for sure.  We had one just up the road pull a kid out of a tent and kill him the other day. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:14:15 pm »
Justin I saw that on the news, didn't realize it was near you. What a tragedy.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:38 pm »
Justin, are the game boys going to track it. Don't know if they can figure out why it happened. A real tough day for all involved.

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:36:57 pm »
Dana, it is actually about 150 miles away.  Ill be camping on that mountain this weekend.  :o Do you want to come?   We might see a bear.  ;D
They had a couple of hound boys in first thing in the morning.  They treed it and the G&F officer wounded it.  They don't tell you the whole story, but I know one of the guys with the dogs. Justin
http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_169083554.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:59:26 pm »
Saw that on the news last night too. It was a blackie around a public campground, if I'm not mistaken.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:06:40 pm »
Yes black. We don't have grizzlies. Don't be fooled though. The black bears can be bigger than the inland grizzlies. Justin

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:26:11 pm »
Justin if I was independently wealthy I would be there in a heart beat, oh yeah I'm driving to New Jersey this weekend to pick my son up.
Have fun camping eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:54:45 am »
Line from the news story:
Black bears, which are found in 27 states, are “generally less aggressive than other bears and don’t prey on humans,” said Stewart Breck, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Fort Collins, Colo.
From all I've read and heard, black bears are statistically actually much more likely to stalk and kill a human with the intent of eating them than grizzlies. There have been a few fatal bear attacks near here over the last several years, and stories of people being dragged from tents and scuffed up are pretty common. I've seen years when they had to shut down the backcountry campsites in areas of the Smokies national park due to aggresive bears. Like Justin said, blacks can get good sized. There have been several bears well over 700 pounds killed here in NC, with one weighing in at I believe 880 lbs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 08:15:29 am »
                    Black Bears are not as aggressive as grizzlys unless its mating season, protectin' young or hungry. Imho, down here they are ALWAYS hungry. Unforttunately, because of civilization enchoachin' on their territory and foks feedin' "the cute bear" most are no longer afraid of humans."Oops, yer meat now and Iam HUNGRY!" :o ;D ;D...........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:57:21 am »
Michigan in their infinite wisdom has gone to a lottery system for black bears, so now we have bears everywhere. Nuissance complaints are way up
its only a matter of time till someone gets ate.

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 11:05:58 am »
Oldbow, sorry for distracting from the original post.  It was without a doubt a huge bear.  They say they can loose up to 30% of their weight in hibernation. The largest recorded weight for black bear is 880#. 

Because we have had no rain, and unusually high temps in the mountains, we are experiencing a bear problem.  Saturday night the same bear reportedly tried the same trick and only got a pillow.  The problem is the incident was not reported accurately until after the boy was killed Sunday night.  It was originally reported as a bear brushing the tent and tearing a hole. There are two other campgrounds in the state, that have been shut down since for bear incidents, including the one in the area we are camping in this weekend.  More precautionary than anything.  The Forest Service is catching flack for not shutting down after the first incident. So now they have to be carefull to avoid a lawsuit.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 09:11:04 pm »
  That's one big bear Don.How would you like to be posing for that picture when the Tranc' wore off :o Florida did away with the bear hunt a few years ago.I see them all the time now.I want to shoot one with a bow,but I don't think I'd like tto be on the ground with a Grizz.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:13 pm »
 I want to shoot one with a bow,but I don't think I'd like to be on the ground with a Grizz.
You are such a little girl.  ;D I want to use my predator calls to call one in on the ground and shoot it with my bow.  I cant get anybody to go film it for me.  ??? Justin

SW Utah