Author Topic: Got our elk tags!  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Catnapper

Got our elk tags!
« on: July 03, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »
Finally! I drew my elk tag for one of the most sought after areas in the state! Area 1 in the Black Hills of Wyoming. The even better news is my girlfriend and my dad drew one too! My dad and I have each killed several elk on our ranch in the Sangre  De Cristo range in CO. But this will be my girlfriends first elk hunt and my first with primitive archery. My friend has found a lot of shed in the area and one set scores about 393.  I can't wait!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:54:54 pm by Catnapper »
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Got our elk tags!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:26:46 pm »
I am sure I speak for everyone on this forum....shut up and go away!   >:D

I'm still eating my Black Hills Elk tag from last year!  Talk about dry, gamey, and tough!

Lemme know if you need any gear for camp, I have a 9x12 wedge tent with a woodstove, cots, wool blankies, etc, etc!  I can even supply a camp wrangler/cook in exchange for some elk meat and/or beer.   :laugh:

And remember to check your gear every morning, you MUST forget to bring a camera or else you will never see an elk much less have a shot.  Once the elk is down, drug to the vehicle, loaded, and in the tree back at camp you are allowed photos.  At any point up until then you will jinx the whole process.  Trust me, remember those tags I was eating? >:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:35 am »
Wow man just too good, I am not familiar with the Wyoming areas but it must be a good area. Have a good hunt and I wish you luck with the primitive gear.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:52:52 pm »
JW- I have been hearing that alot from co-workers who didn't draw. LOL .....
As far as gear goes I'm pretty well set-up. But you are more than welcome to come share our camp our beer and meat. PLUS....I can always use someone to call for me while I set-up for the ambush ::) My girlfriend and I usually get 2 deer also so we should have more meat than we can handle so I would be happy fill some spots in your freezer.... IF.... we are successful :) I agree with you on leaving the camera behind to increase the odds of harvest. It also helps if you wear brand new jeans and a new shirt that your lady does not want you to get dirty. ( I turned a 48 hour old white shirt red last year.)  >:D I'm planning on heading over every weekend in Sep. And maybe use a few days of vacation from work once the bulls really get talkin. 

Kenneth- thanks for wishing me luck and we are gonna have a good time no matter where the tags end up! I'm gonna concentrate on getting Sheena her first elk before I go after mine that way I can keep her hooked on hunting. ;)
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »
Congrats Cat. Hoping you , your girl and your Dad each get an elk.
  I'll be heading out on my second ever elk hunt with Kenneth on Sept, 2.   Aim small, miss small!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:51:12 pm »
Pat- Thank-you and congrats to you too! I just read your thread and it appears you will be close to my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Cotopaxi, CO on a ranch  that has been in the family for over 100 years. Cotopaxi is smack dab in between Canon City and  Salida in the bighorn canyon.  90% of my family still lives there and my cousin owns Track 'em outfitters. He specializes in high country elk, mule deer, mt lion, and black bear. I sure miss it down there but I had to move where the money is and hopefully I will live there again one day. I visit often though to visit family and fish my favorite spots on the Arkansas river. The elk hunting is phenomenal and I'm confident you will  have a blast! I would love to see some photos of your adventures and the area when you get done hunting!
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:08:14 am »
Well im headed up at 4 AM to go see if i can stick a big bull! Went scouting on Saturday and found 3 big bulls to go after. I got a few to bugle later in the evening and then spotted another big herd just before dark! I wont be able to sleep tonight!
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:21:02 pm »
Well i never managed to get a shot at an elk with my primitive gear.  I was diagnosed with Severe Ulcerative Colitis and have spent most of the season in the Hospital....I Did however manage to make it out one morning with the rifle and harvest a 5 point bull during the gun season. My girlfriend and dad also got 5 point bulls. Not exactly the way i planned to harvest one but we needed the meat since i am very limited on what i can eat now and wild game is one thing that is good for this disease! Im back in the Hospital again but things are improving so maybe i will still get out to harvest a whitetail doe with my osage bow! just thought i would update this post a little.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »
That's no good man.  I would livid if I drew an awesome spot like that and then wasn't able to use it every chance I got :(.

As far as the illness, that makes things even worse.. How are you feeling?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:59 pm »
I don't know if I should say congratulations or my condolences. Don't get me wrong, I love taking my family with me when I hunt. But when if I ever draw my premium entry elk tag I don't want anyone else to have a tag. I want to spend all of my time concentrating on a monster not trying to help someone else. You will have a good time, but your going to need a lot of luck to fill three.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »
Good luck Cat. JW you made me spray my monitor with diet coke ;D ;D ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:40 pm »
I waited by the phone all season long for you to call, Catnapper.   >:(

Sorry to hear you spent all that time on your back in the horsepiddle, rotten luck.  I am glad you and the family were able to put meat in the freezer, though.  Haven eaten both elk and elk tag, I can definitively say I prefer the elk.

Cracker:  drink with your mouth closed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »
Hey Ronnie, have you tried Coke Zero? It taste better with adult drinks and no calories. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »
JW my mouth was closed until I read you're post.
Eddie tried it couldn't stand the stuff I'll stick with orange juice for a mixer with smirnoff's, spring water I drink straight up.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

TurtleCreek

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 03:29:55 am »
That's awesome!!!!  when ya headin' out?