Author Topic: A New Bowyer  (Read 2638 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

A New Bowyer
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »
Hi there,

I thought I would introduce myself.  I've been viewing this forum as a guest for quite a while.  I have (sort of) successfully made one bow out of a hickory board with a red oak handle.  I say sort of because at the time I didn't know the difference between heartwood and sapwood.  One limb is all sapwood and the other limb is half sapwood and half heartwood so the limb that is all sapwood is bending more than the other limb.  I have tillered it as best as I can, but do not want to make the one limb any thinner than it is now.  I will make more.  I have since then screwed a couple up (oh well).  What I am wondering about is if there is anyone else here in the area around London Ontario that is interested in showing me anything or if anyone in this area knows where I can get some good staves or boards around here.  I'm also curious about the designs of the native bows in this area if anyone knows anything I always appreciate help.  Happy Shooting.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: A New Bowyer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »
Welcome! One limb is heartwood and the other is sapwood? Just curious as to howthat happened. My site may help you. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »
Hi, the main thing is you've started, we all learn a lot on those first few bows.
I'm near London, but unfortunately it's London UK ::).
Good luck and keep makin' 'em. Give it 40 years and you'll get the hang of it ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »
Hello and welcome!! Glad to see when the guests finally take the plunge and join the forum, you can learn allot by being able to interact and ask questions and post pics. I live in Oregon so cant help you there but im sure there is someone in your area. Another though is to put an add on craigs list looking for bowyers in your area you might get some hits that way. Nice to have you here and dont give up before long you will have some nice shooters. Look forward to seeing some of your bows.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »
  Don't worry if you can't find someone your'll  be the first in your area. You can do it I did when I started no one even shot a tradional bow much less a selfbow in my area. All my compound friends thought I had lost it. Did'nt take long they were hanging out in my shop.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:24:03 pm »
Welcome, glad to hear you've taken the plunge and built that first one. Trust me you will never learn without taking that first step. Enjoy the journey  ;D  ;D.  Joe
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:13:08 pm »
Welcome, post some pics.and get some guidance here, its not hands on but its helpful  8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30:41 am »
Welcome to PA.  :)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32:55 am »
Hi there and welcome. Be sure to post pics of your bow work. We love pics.  ;)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:10 pm »
Welcome ,and I am with Jawges on that one, :) :)don't live near there but lots of folks here that will be happy tp help.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
welcome to pa ,,like to see some pics