Author Topic: Need help Iding a tree again  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Need help Iding a tree again
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:26:20 pm »
some type of evergreen I have been searching all over the internet to figure it out and just cant.  I broke a branch of to smell it and it is not cedar or a cedar with a smell anyway.  the limb was extremely flexable.  The tree is about 3 or 40 foot tall with about a 16 to 18 inch wide trunk.  Thanks in advanced everyone.  Yall have always been a big help.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Need help Iding a tree again
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »
  CEDER
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:33:52 pm »
I'm no expert but it sure looks like a cedar to me

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »
Eastern Red Cedar aka Juniper

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »
that was my first thoughts to but It has no cedar smell.  and has no cones or berries either so I was confused.  I know juniper is good and cedar is OK  We have a tone of cedars in GA but this is the largest I have ever seen and ever one I have ever cut not for bow wood as I am new to self bows had a strong cedar smell.  I have made benches and deer and turkey mounting plank's out of cedar I like taking one with a large Branch cutint right up the middle with the Branch sticking out and mount my turkey on that and attach it to a wall so it looks like a turkey on the roost of getting ready to fly down with wings half opened.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »
I agree. The real small limbs wont have much smell to them. Cut a bigger one that has some heart wood in it and take another whiff. Looks to be some decent clean sections in it. IMHO any bow made ERC should be backed with hickory,sinew,a real thin bamboo,or rawhide at the very least. Its gorgeous stuff and soft and easy to work with.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:48:06 pm »
I think I will leave it alone then it is in my Yard and I have a hickory back there to get 2 wild black  cherry trees a dog wood and some 30 foot tall holly. My hunting property is cover up in juniper with the little berries and all hundreds of them so I will save cutting juniper for the next time I am up there.

thanks guys

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:02:29 pm »
Maybe bald cypress? Or diadar? (may be misspelled.)

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:28:31 pm »
  Here in WV we have LOTS,LOTS of ceder. We have some really big ones pushing 2 feet across the trunk. Crush up a handfull of needles if you want that ceder smell.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING