Author Topic: grandson bow question?? finished pics..  (Read 2489 times)

Offline lowell

grandson bow question?? finished pics..
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
3 1/2 year old grandson was looking at bows in shop this morning and I asked him if he wanted to shoot one and he did.

Took the lightest one I had and he did shoot some arrows and he liked it.  But he needs a lower poundage bow,

I "whipped" one out this afternoon and I like it but wonder if I should take the weight down a little more??

The bow is osage and is 41" long.  It is now about 18# at 15"... is that something he can work into or should I take some more wood off??  He is big and strong for his age.  (Grandpa talking!!) :laugh:

I know this is an age old question but couldn't find the answer in a "kids bow" search.  Thanks for any advice!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:04:18 am by lowell »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
Re: grandson bow question??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:17:01 pm »
ive made alot of kids bows and have found from experience that if the kid has trouble pulling the bow then they may shy away from it, but if you shoot with him and he seems okay then i would leave it as is, hope he likes it and show some pics of him shooting it, that is what the future of primtive archery is about.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:14:36 am »
Today shooting.... I just like this picture.  :)

Have a happy 4th of July!!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »
Awesome. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:52 pm »
Well... worked on it a little this morning and took it down to 17#@17".  Think I would rather have it be easy for him and make another when he needs "more power"!!! 8)

Put some finish on it and hope to have pics today or tomorrow!! ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:08:37 pm »
look's like a cool paint job on the bow and a fine looking boy as well, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lowell

Re: grandson bow question?? finished ics added
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »
The previous picture was the kids bow that was a little too strong for Hunter.  This is the bow I just finished.  Took some wood off this morning and it is now 14#@15" and 17#@17" and is 41 " ttt.  Osage of course!! 8)

Think it will work good for him till he outgrows it, then I can make another one and his little sister can have this one!! 8)

Not fancy, I would hope it to be utilitarian,  one he can just take and play with as he sees fit!! ;)

This is his second bow....some of you will remmeber his first I made before he was born......and can be seen here....  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4689.0.html

thanks for looking....Lowell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: grandson bow question?? finished pics..
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:01 am »
Very very cool,you got to love that,that brings back fond memories of me teaching  my son Beau to shoot when he was 2 or 3 years old.  :) :) :) same to you for the 4th. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good