Author Topic: non-center shot?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Catnapper

non-center shot?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:41:26 pm »
A guy at the local archery range told me that if a selfbow is non-center shot then I choose arrows spined 10# lighter than my bow weight to get the best arrow flight.  Example: 40# arrows for a 50# non-center shot bow........Is this true?
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline cracker

Re: non-center shot?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »
There is more to consider than just the weight of the bow for instance, handle width must be taken into account the weight of the arrowhead the drawlength of the shooter the overall arrow length and probably some more stuff that I am forgetting right now. Thanks Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:33:37 pm »
  Thats a general rule. The futher away from center shot your bow the more closer your spine has to be.  The shorter your arrow the stiffer the spine will be. The head weight dose have a small effect if you only talking 5 or 10 grain. If your say talking from changing from 100 gr. to 150 gr. then the change will be greater.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »
I prefer stiffer spine for my bendy handle wood bows.  But I don't shoot the "normal" length arrows cut to drawlength.  I like to shoot 30+ inch arrows so the spine is perfect.

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:53:05 am »
Makes sense. A longer arrow flexs more therefore a stiffer spine is needed, and the further off centershot then the weaker the spine needs to be so it can flex around the handle somewhat.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:03:38 am »
What is good about longer stiffer arrows is that I can shoot pretty consistently from bow to bow with the same arrows.