Author Topic: First forged knife  (Read 5052 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: First forged knife
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:15 am »
Thanks again, guys.

Here's a pic of my forge.  It's just 2 soft fire brick with a channel carved out between them.  I cut the channel with a rasp in 5 minutes or so.  A hole is drilled in the side of one of the bricks that the burner in the picture in inserted into, but not through.  I took one more brick and sawed it in half.  I use each half to cover each end of the channel to hold in the heat.

And here's a couple of pics of my post anvil.  It's just a piece of 4" diameter cold rolled steel, that was maybe 6" long.  I filled the bucket full of quickcrete and jammed the steel bar into it.  This adds a lot of mass under the blow and really helps move the steel.

In the anvil pics you can also see the type of propane canisters used to run the burner on my forge.  If I keep using this one I'd like to rig up some type of hose to run this burner off of a 30# tank, because these smaller ones will freeze up occassionally.  I've got an old propane tank that I'm considering converting into a big forge, though.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:55 pm »
Nice job Jonathan! That's doing things the hard way and that's a great looking knife.
I'm gonna try my hand at making a small 3" knife to hang around my neck as soon as I can get some supplies. I made a trade on a beautiful section of cross cut saw blade for trade points, but I can already see a 3" shorty coming out of it.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:29:09 am »
Archer, either here or in "Primitive Skills" should work fine
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 02:10:07 am »
Sweet set up
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 04:37:31 pm »
Fine looking knife, good work! I like that design.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 07:16:44 pm »
Thanks Chris and Steve.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:28 am »
Nice blade JC.....I like those drop points!

For those of you looking for more forge info, do a web search for "wayne goddard brick forge" and you will get lots of ideas....or look for "coffee can forge".

Cheers,
J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.