Author Topic: Future Bows  (Read 19611 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Re: Future Bows
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:19 pm »
OMY!  if i didnt live so far north (northern ontario) , id be there in a flash.  I get sick of lookin at all the conifers and poplar! some real bow wood would be a nice chnge.  :)  as well as some biscuits a gravy! :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline DEllis

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 01:19:45 am »
WOW! I wish I could come down and help ya chop all that up..........don't forget a canadian friend who's looking for a nice long yellow stave eh? ;D
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:28:58 am »
Hey yeah we need osage up here! Snow, shovels, ice and Pine, great eh? Anywho, closest thing we have to what you got is a bit of hickory on the lake, deep in the woods too.  :'(
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 01:52:53 am »
Wish it weren't so expensive to ship north of the border.  I'll see what I can do for you guys.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 04:05:47 am »
I knew I was gonna have trouble sleeping tonight... ;D

Better get some shuteye... can't be late.

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 07:32:00 am »
Me too, and I'm too old to get excited... 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 11:35:29 am »
If your friend really wants to get rid of the osage you should pick up a qt of "Stump Killer" at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you don't spray the stump it will sprout back and start another tree.

I thinned the trees in part of my woods. On the first part I just cut trees, almost everything sprouted back. On the next part I sprayed each stump with stump killer, nothing sprouted back.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 05:18:05 pm »
He must be treating the stumps, there's nothing growing back on any of them.

After a rousing breakfast we headed over to Thomas' place.  Gus jumped right in with the chain saw

We ended up cutting 3 trunks out of that tree, what I thought was a 4th trunk turned out to be cedar elm.  This one fell just like we wanted...

but it stuck in the elm tree next to it.

Thomas brought down the Kubota and drug it out.  We then used the tractor to load the wood in Gus' truck and my trailer.  I took a picture of what I brought home.

We're all pooped, but there are some good bows in there.

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10:41 pm »
"Were all pooped,but there's some good bows in there"   
you can say that again. I feel your pain. Literally.

Nice haul there George. Looks like nice stuff

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 07:26:14 pm »
I dunno what pains me worse....not getting in on that wood or not getting in on the biscuits and gravy. 

I was taught what good B&G could be and my fellow Northerners can't seem to get the hang of the gravy worth a damn.  We won't even broach the subject of biscuits (or the toilet paper tube turds they seem to want to call "biscuits")

And the best of it all, getting together with fellow treebenders!  Must have been good.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »
Yes Sir...

The Trees were Big, Beautiful and Straight.
Did a bit of splitting yesterday and the wood is healthy and clean.
Tools functioned flawlessly for the most part... :)
Met two Good men of like mind and had a great day doing noble work.
It was a Lovely drive out to where the trees were.
The land owner's hospitality was TOP Notch.

But most of all...

BREAKFAST WAS AWESOME!!!!   >:D

Thank You again George and Ciripano.
Hope we can do it again soon!

Best Regards,

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 08:12:48 pm »
John, wish you could have been there.  Gus and Cipriano, glad you were.  Mary makes exquisite biscuits, always from scratch, and this batch was wonderful as usual.  The sausage was graciously provided by the hog that joined us at the last Cross Plains knapping get-together.  I actually made the gravy, while Mary was doing something else.  Seemed edible.  Cipriano texted me some pictures, he  captured me watching (and taking a picture of) Gus, who was working hard.  That was probably a common sight that morning.

We had one log large enough that we split it before moving it.  Man was that an experience.  Splitting green osage is not my idea of a good time. 

Thank goodness the guys were there.  Gus ran that chain saw like a lumberjack and Cipriano picked up logs I couldn't even move.  I was sure thankful when Thomas said we could load with the tractor.  I need to go get the logs out of the trailer, but my butt seems welded to this lazy-boy this afternoon. :o

George

St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »
well maybe if ya get up real early >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:52 pm »
And all with a horrible tooth ache!!!!!!!!! Man does it hurt!!!  :(

Breakfast was delicious :D

Another great time with Georgy and nice getting to meet Gus... Good food, good folks, and good logs 8) Does it get anybetter than that??
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:43 am »
I need to go get the logs out of the trailer, but my butt seems welded to this lazy-boy this afternoon. :o

George

I saw in your pics that you're a Cherokee driver.  I knew there was a reason I liked you.   ;D

I typically unload logs from my trailer by tying the logs to a tree and pulling the trailer out from under them. 
Mark
Lindale, TX