Author Topic: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???  (Read 26046 times)

Offline gpw

Re: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 01:19:02 pm »
OK, we're back !!! :o    While constructing a Pyramid bow out of Bamboo flooring , I flashed on the idea of making a couple D bows from the leftovers...  The density and flexibility of the Boo would seem to make it a good candidate for  bows like this and with the more English D section... Thinking the usual 72" X 1.5" wide for a 45lb bow (getting old) I know it will need some backing ... I've been using 2 layers of polyester camo net on the bias , seems really strong , no failures ..  yet ...   and it's cheap , and looks invisible in the woods ... I know it's not exactly Primitive , so no growling please...  Just using "what I got" !!
    Also harvested some long crepe Myrtle branches , long and straight , about 2" dia. near the bottom ...  Thinking of some really simple D bows from this ... minimum woodworking , sorta' Caveman ...ish ...

Never enough bows eh ???  hahahaha

Offline Parnell

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 03:34:01 pm »
Gotta use what you've got.  I actually prefer the practicality of the d bows, but I love em all.
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »
If I make a D Bow....its a Native American D Bow.....not European....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gpw

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
ED, what's the difference ...  Not making ELBs  , Just thinking 1.5" Wide  for most of the length and a little narrowing at the tips ... Tillered ever so slightly stiffer in the handle ... REAL Simple !!!

Made some thin hickory backed ERC ELBs , those tapered from the handle area  to the thin  tips , whole limb narrowed as it went ... Perry Reflex, long length 72"  made them good accurate shooters ...

Offline NTProf

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 12:02:24 pm »
I love long, d-tillered bows. About all I make anymore.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 12:09:28 pm »
I prefer stiff handled bows, but lately I've been having fun knocking out really simple D bows for others. May have to make one for myself too :).

So... simple... must... build! :D

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 12:29:01 pm »
Would the D-Bow design, since the whole piece of wood is working, transfer more energy to the arrow?  What are the effects of this?  Faster and flatter flight?

Offline bambule

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:03 pm »
Would the D-Bow design, since the whole piece of wood is working, transfer more energy to the arrow?  What are the effects of this?  Faster and flatter flight?

No, I don't think so. A well tillerd flatbow with a stiff handle and bending right from the fades in a circle to stiff tips is the best angle you can set up. Maybe a flatbow with a slightly bending handle and eiffeld tips also with a circle from the handle/fades could be as fast or even faster. But you need very well spined arrows if your handle is as wide as the limbs.
The "energy-transfer-thing" is not how much of the wood is bending but rather than in which way the wood is bending. As you can see often on Compositebows, they are bending a lot from the fades to use the leftover of the limb and the siyas as a lever.
But maybe I was ill in school during the physics lessons and that is all rubbish  :D

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline gpw

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »
  Built a few backed RD (with Perry reflex too)bows that were very fast ...  about 66-68" long ...   scary to tiller due to the higher early draw weight , but safer actually ...  D bows are just FUN and feel so good in the hand...  I use Long arrows , and Big feathers... tuning the point weight seems to help ... besides an unstrung D bow makes a good walking stick and something to move the snakes away...  :o

Offline bubby

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 12:03:38 am »
I've been building mine 1-1/4" wide at the handles, hickory baced epe, theyseem to be real fast and stoot hard. even better if ya flip the tips a little
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Kegan

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 12:03:44 pm »
I have a simple one in the hot box. It seems to be drying pretty quick, I might be able to go from tree to box in about a week this way. I'll have to see how it shoots. If it does well I'll see how fancy I can make :).

Offline RyanY

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 01:14:20 pm »
I'm in the processes of making a hickory one for target shooting. I have the stave roughed out and it has a few inches of natural reflex. Hopefully after heat treating it, it will be a sweet shooter. Going to try and get the tips to 1/4".

Offline Parnell

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »
Got a 60"ntn shooting yesterday from a hickory board.  Followed the dimensions for the Cherokee hunting bow in TBB2.  Needs some fine tuning but shot great out of the gates.  I'll try to post a picture later...
1’—>1’

Offline Kegan

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 06:54:00 pm »
I found a piece of ipe that my uncle got for me. If I can just find/trade for a piece of hickory backing I know what I'm doing with it >:D

Oh! I took out my old 83# white Oak D bow with literally 4" of set and at 15 to 20 yards shot no worse than with my 86# white oak flatbow with 2" of set (yes, these bows are old and no I didn't really know what I was doing besides making them heavy). Hopefully at a reasonable weight where I'm not overbowed I can shoot it as accurately as a "more accurate" flatbow :).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:03:28 pm by Kegan »

Offline gpw

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »
  Harvested some long poles (branches ) from my Crepe Myrtle tree.... look like bows, got some arrow wood too  .... going REAL Primitive on these...branch D bows  .... Drying now ... the long wait .... Grrrrr!!!!  Thinking of roughing out a few of these , just to facilitate drying ...   Pics as soon as I figure how ...