Author Topic: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???  (Read 26048 times)

Offline gpw

Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:07:00 am »
  Anybody out there making simple D bows , arc of a circle tillering , full width handle ... with tiny tips(reduces hand shock) and the right arrow(spine) , they shoot pretty well... so easy to make /tiller...great for the kiddies , Big kids too ...!!! ;D    We've even built them slightly offset for a cleaner arrow pass...

Offline snedeker

Re: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:48:09 am »
I've made a few.  They are fun to make and shoot.

Dave

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:39:55 am »
Made a few, they shoot well. I prefer the handle to bend slightly less than a complete arc, though.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:53:29 am »
My first bow was that style, but honestly, I'm not that fond of the D-style. I like flat bows, American long bows, Asiatic composite styles, and ancient designs. I am, however, going to buld a friend that kind of bow, 80 # with a 26.5" pull.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

jamie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:55:05 am »
just about the only style i build is a dbow.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:40:19 pm »
I have one in the works right now. Service berry, 57" ntn. I think it will be a good hunting weapon.
Gordon

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:17:58 pm »
I got a 52" osage sliver pretty much tillered the other day.  Not perfect but bending nicely and shooting with good manners.  It came in at 42lb@28", I think I'm going to sinew it.  I processed some sinew for the job, now I have to sort and prep it and will glue it on tomorrow night.  I really don't want to add too much weight, I think I'll have my wife shoot this one and she needs a bow that is no higher than 45lb@28" (she shoots about 27").
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:30:45 pm »
I've made a few and really like their simplicity and have been amazed at how well they shoot. I like them with side nocks. I have one made with osage that is almost completed .    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:38:43 pm »
Hey Pat, remembering those two pieces of Osage I got at Pappy's. I think I will bring them over and try and split one for a "D" style bow. Could be an interesting project for me at your house that weekend.  Could use some of your guidance. I still have the take-down Yew longbow in the works. Haven't spent too much time on it lately.  How did you like the photos I sent today. Wild isn't it?

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:13:43 pm »
Cool snaky stave Dick. If you decide you don't want it, remember who your buddy is! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 04:30:58 pm »
A friend of mine split it and I glued it together. I "think" it will be a challenge.   :o  Although not a "D" bow it is interesting.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 06:16:35 pm »
In the process of making one- though I have this urge to make a D-bow with working recurves, so it might not stay a D for long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 06:35:53 pm »
            Like Jamie, Only style I build..........bob

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 06:50:24 pm »
I really like the style.  To be honest--I've never thought they were easy to tiller though.  I've only seen a handful of 'D' bows on this site with perfect tiller.  With 'D' tiller + 'D' section longbows like the English Warbow, proper tiller goes beyond limbs that bend evenly and through the handle.  Its a matter of keeping everything bending at the right time and to the right degree.  Elliptical bows with stiff handles are easy to tiller because they have fewer variables.  If a handle is stiff, it doesn't matter how thick it is.  If the tips are supposed to be stiff, you just have to keep them thick enough to keep them from bending.  With various historical 'D' styles, you have to have the tillering chops to control an ever-changing bend from tip to tip and that's not easy for me. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 08:01:21 pm »
I agree with J.D.- D- bows aren't easier to build. More limb to deal with, and the limbs go right into each other. Got to go slower too. Normal stiff riser flat-bows are just cheaters by comparison ;D