Author Topic: smiling like a butchers dog/all lined up/new pic  (Read 11009 times)

blackhawk

Re: smiling like a butchers dog
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »
Its alright cowboy. Im at work too dying to get out of here. Hmmm? I wonder why.

And yes George the bow gods have opened up the heavens to us. Cool we both found a motherlode of wood to keep us junkies going for awhile. And im in despair to,its called work. So does that constitute my name being on a Osage log too >:D. Lol.....kidding. I got enough on my hands right now and don't have much room either to put it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »
Yes, it is a good week.  I see no reason an osage log couldn't be swapped for a yew log...O, maybe 1 reason...shipping. :'( :'(

Good find, I hope that yew wasn't damaged  when it was rolled around.  Every time I cut wood rolled by a dozer I can't keep the saw sharp from all the dirt in the bark. ???

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:06:08 pm »
Yeah. That shipping will kill ya.   :-\

Well I got that one tree all cut up and all those ends are sealed. It took a whole can of shellac. Most of it wasn't too beat up actually. A lot of the spots that got dinged bad were in spots where a bow wasn't anyways or just had to remove a foot of trunk and then continue on full length or billet length. Im gonna pick it up n bring it all home tomorrow and then dig out that other smaller yew tree and see what else I can take home  ;D

Its a haul for sure. Hopefully ill have numbers and pictures of it all lined up by tomorrow.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »
I might have missed this but blackhawk where abouts are you located? Not looking for an exact location just generall location?

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »
Hey josh. Im in western Pennsylvania. I think its english yew to be exact(but could be wrong). These were planted a looooong time ago next to an old farmhouse when it was built,which has been torn down now. So its all like low elevation stuff. Like I said its not warbow worthy but its hunting weight worthy. This tree had to be close to fifty feet tall. This was a very rare find for out here. I basically found a needle in the worlds biggest haystack. And its bow worthy wood to boot. Im still waiting to wake up.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:13 pm »
Cool ya its a great find I am very happy for you I know how excited I get when I find a smal scrub yew tree even if there isnt any bows in it ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

blackhawk

Re: smiling like a butchers dog. sneak peek pic
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »
Here's the top cut of the trunk I cut yesterday. 79" long. 20 rpi

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »
Very NICE :o

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 12:44:40 am »
nice haul there, never made a yew bow plenty of osage and other woods, nice and straight should make some beauties.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

blackhawk

Re: smiling like a butchers dog/all lined up/new pic
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
Here's most of it. There's still a few more staves to dig out and cut. You guys can count it yourself  ;D

Lengths from 33"-79"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 01:21:45 pm »
That is a very nice haul of yew.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 01:24:19 pm »
Oh you dirty, dirty dawg.... >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »
Thanks patb...what are the odds of finding this size clean yew out east here?

@Lee....hey buddy. Sorry to send you in a jealous rage. Friends aren't supposed to do that to each other. My apologies. Hope we still can be buddies.  ;)

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 02:49:32 pm »
You lucky dog I am very jelous I dont think I have ever seen  yew in Ga.  Great find and looks like you will be busy for a while.

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »
Bownut....people plant yews for landscaping and ornamentals in there yards everywhere in the country. You've seen it,you just didn't know it. Most of that stuff is no good. You still might be able to find one that you can get 2"-3"+ 36" long billet lengths and splice them. I saw a guy who did that and it turned out good. Yew has flat needles and grows the red berries. Do a search online.