Author Topic: smiling like a butchers dog/all lined up/new pic  (Read 11007 times)

blackhawk

smiling like a butchers dog/all lined up/new pic
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »
 Last week I had planned to cut up some black locust with my step dad that was a blow down on a neighbors property. The plan was I help with the waste wood and help him cut firewood and I was gonna pick out some clean sections(if there was any) to split into staves. We first got there and it was a huge hybrid locust. It was a mess,limbs and brush everywhere. The landowner said it took out a yew and I said that makes bows too,and she said I could take some of it as well. I thought maybe it was just another smallish ornamental too crappy for bow wood like everything else. So I climbed the brush pile and saw a 8" diameter yew trunk and went huh. No way. Underneath it all was a huge old yew. Now im also a lil cus they just bulldozed both trees over to the side of there yard to the treeline and some of it got beat up. What a shame  :'(  but there is alot still there that's usable and good. It took awhile to unbury it but this is what I found and im smiling from ear to ear. I ve only touched the surface and there's also another tree under there but didn't unbury it yet to see if any of it is good or not. Im gonna have to go back tomorrow and sat to get the rest. This is gonna be a lot of work.

Yew overhaul baby. 20"+ trunk

As you see,some of it got abused  :'(

I got one trunk out and cut into a few billets and a couple full lengths. And a couple limbs. There's so much more. A LOT >:D

Once I get it all out ill count it all up and line it all up and snap some pictures. It may not be warweight worthy stuff,but it'll still make some nice hunting bows for sure. From what I seen the ring count is between and varies around 10-25 rpi
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:59:28 pm by blackhawk »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: smiling like a butchers dog
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:45:54 pm »
SCORE!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:16:40 pm »
 :o :o :o WHOOOWW you lucky dog!!!!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:26:51 pm »
There will be some sweet staves in that lower end!, Nice fnd

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:39:02 pm »
Nice! makes my recent yew find look pretty measly. I hope you get alot of good staves out of that.

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:33 am »
Good luck with it.  Looks like lots of good quality.

I have tried dozer pushed trees here in Mo. with bad luck. Mostly Osage, it seems to twist the grain internally,and stays hidden until the staves are worked down. Maybe your wood won't be effected by it.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:34:57 am »
When you make your way past Webberville and if the van should happen to lose a piece on the highway, just note the mile marker.  I'll rescue it for you!
The bow gods were smiling down on you!  Great find!

Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:46:47 am »
You can say that a few more times soy

I am more than lucky josh...I am blessed. And yeah. Whoooow is right. Im still blown away at this find.

Your right Keenan. Good eye. That lower section has some nice straight n pretty clean trunks.

Weylin your find is still good. Keep at it and one of these days this will happen to you too. Just get the word out to everyone you know that you make bows and tell em to be on the lookout for wood. It'll pay off.

Hey timo I hope the dozer didn't mess up the internal grain either. We'll see. Its still worth all the work to salvage it out tho.

Ok Matt..ill let you know if one flys off. Easily could with all that wood. And yes the bow gods have been smiling down on me BIG time.

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:07:19 am »
I'd be smiling so hard my lips would touch at the back of my head. Well worth the work.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:38:36 am »
I get a lil excited when I see a nice sapling...
Not sure what I wood do if I came across that!

Nice score!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 05:50:51 am »
Looks like you hit the mother lode with that.
Fortune favours the lucky ;).
Maybe you should send a few of the best bits to the Uk for evaluation at 'The Del the Cat Institute for Timber Studies'  ::)
Del
BTW, It's easy to get casual when you find so much, make sure you get every last bit even if it's marginal...you can always throw it away later, 'cos if you don't it will get burnt/trashed etc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:54:55 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 09:19:41 am »
Yeah Dave I woke up this morning still smiling and giddy as a school girl. I thought there was only one substance that could give you permagrin. I was wrong. ;D

Sharpend I did cream my pants :D

Del...maybe I shoulda played the lotto yesterday too. Im gonna take the clean sections that has dinged sapwood too for backed bows. No worries ill get all the meat off her bones.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:55 am »
This must be the week to find bow wood. :)  Good find!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:24 am »
Great find! I've never seen a yew tree but that looks like a lot of bows there. Everybody's out having fun and i'm stuck at work :'(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 02:33:27 pm »
Despair not my friend.  There is an osage log with your name on it at my place.  Anytime you want to go flint hunting, or show me some tricks knapping...I will bring it over. ;)

George
St Paul, TX