Author Topic: Lacewood  (Read 2588 times)

Offline dmc

Lacewood
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:03:57 am »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, but have followed PA forum as a "creeper", and have enjoyed reading the comraderie between the lines. I'm hoping someone can give me their opinion from their own bow building. I have seen in the forum that others have used Lacewood for tips and some overlays. Can this wood be used for bellys and backed with hickory? I have not seen it listed in my Trad Bowyers Bible at all. Any info would be appreciated.

Dave Mc
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

blackhawk

Re: Lacewood
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:21:36 am »
Welcome to pa. I don't have any experience with lacewood,but have some patience and someone who has will chime in.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
I've only ever used it in veneers for trims and decoration, but I found it fiddly to work with, because the grain which gives the wood its pattern also seems to make it brittle.  Also chunks are easily snatched from the workpiece when using a plane or coarse rasp, and the only way I could get a smooth surface on it was to use sandpaper.  I dont think I'd like to try it for a belly wood, but do let us know if you have any results one way or the other. ;)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:06:24 pm »
   I have no exsperience with it, never heard of anyone useing it in bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline dmc

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I wondered if it would be brittle when rasped. Makes sense to me. Enjoy the summer...... deer seasons coming!
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:03:50 pm »
Hey nice to have you dmc! I dont have an answer to your question either just wanted to welcome you. We need more of you lurkers (guests) to sign up and start posting bows! ;D ;)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bowyer3

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »
Welcome DMC.  I have never heard of using lacewood either.  I am new to PA also and the guys are great.
Perry

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:00:40 pm »
I have not try-ed it for bows but have worked with it some
I think it would be very challenging
If you have your heart set on it send a piece to be impregnated with epoxy so it will stay together
It would not be a very primitive bow (but would be a good looker)as the piece is more glue than wood then!
Welcome to PA !! Have fun!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:42:35 pm »
lacewood and leapordwood,, ive used many times, as overlays and vineers,, its very soft ,too soft backing or belly wood,its a great wood to add to tips and riser as a contrast wood but will not hold up to backs or bellies,,i used it once on a belly it chrysled the entire length of the bow on the first draw..james