Author Topic: Pyramid limbed mollagabet...?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Pyramid limbed mollagabet...?
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »
...Anybody made one? I figured it would probably be a little faster than a normal wide limbed mollagabet, but probably not by much.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
Re: Pyramid limbed mollagabet...?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:13:43 am »
ive made osage molle's but have not seen a pyramid style molle, should be fast but a molle gets its speed from the wide limb to narrow upper(blades) transition. it would be interesting to see one . 
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:20:12 am »
I think if ya taper up to the levers ya got a hollmgarde instead of a molle, I think? Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:48:01 am »
I think if ya taper up to the levers ya got a hollmgarde instead of a molle, I think? Bub

Me thinks you is correct.

I did some research last night and looks like what I come up with.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 am »
yeah..i have, and it was nothing like a holmegård. Bending section was pyramide shaped and levers as deep as wide or deeper ...this is were it differes from a holmy!

It was wickedly fast, but made of hazle which could not handle the compression:(. I prefer to make semi pyramids with short levers though. Ill post one soon...and check of i have pics of some of my experiments.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:49:16 am by Holten101 »

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »
every mollly ive built except the first was tapered or pyramid limbed

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:20:14 pm »
 Look on page 120 TBB4. It looks to me like what you're describing. The first one has a slight taper to the levers. The second on is pretty radical. I think I' try on of those. Heck. I can blow it up just as easy as the last couple I've made :'(
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »
"yeah..i have, and it was nothing like a holmegård. Bending section was pyramide shaped and levers as deep as wide or deeper"

This is kinda what I was meaning, but if made of a strong wood even more extra mass could be removed by making very thing but deep levers, as strength is in how deep the wood is. I mean like verging on 1/4" at the tips thin, but I wouldn't attempt anything like that without it being a perfectly layed out board bow, just cause of twist N such. I know what yall mean about it being like a holmegard, performance might about the same as the only difference would be round unbending tips verses thin deep unbending tips. (Coarse that depends your opinion of what a holmegard looks like, as there seems to be a little variance here) Check this though, how bout 1 1/2" limb width at the fade, pyramid tapered to 1/2" at the beginning of the lever, then gradual taper to 1/4" at the very tips of the lever. How wicked would that (recipe for broken levers) be. :)

"very mollly ive built except the first was tapered or pyramid limbed"

Woah, bout to go check out some of your posts, kewl.

"Look on page 120 TBB4. It looks to me like what you're describing. The first one has a slight taper to the levers. The second on is pretty radical. I think I' try on of those. Heck. I can blow it up just as easy as the last couple I've made"

I just blew up a mulberry, and you know what, I was happy, because at least it didn't twist up till then. Long as It don't twist I don't care. Aint nothing more infuriating than knowing you are ALMOST there, up till 26", and then twist pop the string pops off. It's not broken. But it don't work neither. At least when it brakes I know I am DONE and can take a break, or work on something else. With twist it seems the battle to correct it just never ends... ;D ;D ;D Naw, I remember seeing that bow with the thin tips your talking about in TBB, I was just thinkin about that after my first post... Make sure to post some pics if ya do end up making one!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:24:10 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 07:10:19 pm »
ed scott says he favors the hollme style and thats what lots of his bows look like
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline peshikthe

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 12:08:54 am »
i met ed scott at cloverdale and he checked my molle out and said i did an excellent job on it, talk about blown away, ed is the man and it sure was nice compliment from a man of his stature in the bow building world.hope yours turns out nice, im sure it will. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 12:47:22 am »
I'm working on a 66" HHB pyramid that I plan to have long, narrow lever tips on. It is 66"t/t,
1 3/4" at the fades and narrows by 1/8" every 6" out each limb. The last 6" to 8" of each limb will be the rigid, narrow levers.   I plan to work on it this weekend so I'll see where it takes me.  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline peshikthe

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:23:44 am »
sounds awesome already, cant wait to see the finished product.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 01:33:44 am »
Cool, let us know how it turns out pat. I got an osage stave with the sapwood on roughed out to something like a pyramid molly right now, pretty narrow limbs. It's still got alot of drying yet to go though. At least another month. It was what was left over from a split that went wrong. If a stave gets too narrow to get a working limb at one end (or both), I guess you can try a thin tipped mollagebet I figure. I also picked up some 1 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick by 6' long pieces of red oak at menards tonight I might play around with too. About 6 bucks each also. Nice and cheap, can't beat that.

Offline peshikthe

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 01:37:37 am »
menards red oak and hard maple boards are a nice alternative to staves when you are out of staves(myself included), hope to see your finished bow.

Offline nowhereman

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »
toomanyknots- might have one in the pipeline if the stave decides it wants it...will keep your post in mind...

regards

v

ps man you can never have too many knots!

pps i've never worked a stave without knots - whats it like??  ;D