Author Topic: First Bow Ever!  (Read 15996 times)

Offline Easternarcher

First Bow Ever!
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:03 pm »
Meet "Little Wonder".  Hickory backed BooFloo (carbonized and vert, grain).
She was formerly maple bellied, but crysalled befor final tillering, so I shaved it off.
65.5" ntn, 1.5" at the fades and straight tapered to 1/2" nocks. 1.5-2" deflex (ya, I know, but I didn't know what I was doin'. ???) and started out with 3.5" reflex. She shows 1.5" string follow after unstringing, but gains it all back after resting a couple of hours.
Ya, she's lightweight, I was shooting for 45 lbs. she came in about 30 lbs. at 28", but she's fun to play with! She has 18" power lam of Jatoba, and the riser is built up with maple, natural Boo and the outer lam is "Cumarru", not sure but I think it's Brazillian Teak. ::) Tip overlays are also Cumarru. Arrow shelf is built up leather with Superglue.
Tillering was most nerve-racking for me, but I took my time and and made a lightweght shooter out of a bow which was supposed to end up as kindling!. Leather grip is not glued so I can remove it if needed. Stitching is abit messed up, but not bad for a first timer.
Finish is Feiblings leather dye with 7 coats of Tung Oil. I really liked this combo, as it was easy to apply and really makes the wood glow! l I think she looks good anyways and I'm proud of her! Any and all comments are welcome. I can take good or bad...(I might learn something.)  Sorry for so many pics.

BTW, these are my first woodies too! Just 5/16" mystery dowels from the depot. Great fun to make stuff huh???

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:57:53 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline DanaM

Re: First Bow Ever!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:51:58 pm »
Tiller looks good to me and the finish is quite simply stunning. I 'd say its a job well done.
I have a tough time stitchin a grip also, maybe Marie could give us a sewing lesson eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:10:10 pm »
that bow is beautiful
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:11:48 pm »
Wow, that is an incredible bow.  Nice finish, nice tips, nice handle, and from the looks of it, a nice shooter. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:23:33 pm »
  Tiller looks great,as does the bow.I had a bow with beads like that.It gave me a big pucker the first few times I shot it.The beads would make a slight "click"sound every time I was almost at full draw. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:55:28 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys..
Being as particular as I am, honestly, I'm not satisfied with how it shoots, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually get some properly spined shafts. ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:52:55 pm »
So thats your first bow! Sheesh ::) I can imagine what your 100th will look like. You did a great job with it. Very appealing all around.
  I'd bet if you built another with a different belly wood, say osage or ipe, you would be surprised and delighted with the cast. I never had luck getting a hard shooting bow from boo flooring.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jpitts

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:05 pm »
Beautiful Bow. Great job.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline mack

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:00:26 am »
Beautiful finish work, that wood  grain  combo looks great.

mack
NW Alabama

mack

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:28:25 am »
So thats your first bow! Sheesh ::) I can imagine what your 100th will look like. You did a great job with it. Very appealing all around.
  I'd bet if you built another with a different belly wood, say osage or ipe, you would be surprised and delighted with the cast. I never had luck getting a hard shooting bow from boo flooring.     Pat

Thanks Pat. Actually, I do have a second bow in the making right now. It's hickory backed Jatoba. I'm hoping to get 50lbs out of that one for sure..But it's only half way tillered, so we'll see what happens.

What do you all think of the tiller and design...Am I even close?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:31:29 am by Easternarcher »

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 03:53:21 am »
Beautiful job on that bow, great tiller, I think you will like you hickory jatoba, great combo. Steve

Offline Loki

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:04:11 am »
well thats stunning!
Durham,England

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:44:09 am »
GREAT,GREAT,GREAT, ..first bow ??..WOW,.... you got a future my boy ;) ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:58:08 am »
Very nice,great finish and tiller especially for your first,hard to believe.You have real tallant. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 06:02:41 am »
Beautiful bow and a great jog on your first bow!