Author Topic: Light weight english longbows  (Read 21151 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Light weight english longbows
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 03:20:09 am »
   Thanks for reading the post!!  I actually have a specific goal in mind for my 50# elbs, I want to try and beat the 50# broadhead record for simple composite bows with an elb instead of a flatbow. I need to be able to shoot a 500 grain arrow at or very near 180 fps to do this. This particualr bow was very close to that before it chrysaled. About the best I can get from a full arc of the circle tiller is around 168 fps. The outer limb could have bent just a tad more and the inner limb just a tad more and I would have been home free. Most anytime I am trying to max a bow out I allready know the chances of failure are very high. I build almost a bow a day most of the time and about 3/4 of them are right on the edge, when I feel I have settled into something I think is good then I will take my time on one having a pretty good idea where the limits are and what to expect from it in the way of warning signs etc. For me thats where the fun is. I am also always fishing for new recruits to flight shooting, the sport seems to be fading away gradually. A lot of the guys who have been dedicated to it for years are getting older and will soon be retiring, plenty of room for a new generation to come in and set some new records. One of the few sports where you adversary will tell you all his secrets. I think most of us just want to see how far an arrow can actually go regardless of who gets it there. I know when I see some of the elbs that Mark St Louis has been building lately I feel a lot of pride just beeing in the same group, kind of like being on the same team in a way. great sport for some of us odd balls!!!  Steve

Offline gpw

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 01:14:51 pm »
WoW !!! Not "The Dan Perry"...huh???   :o  I've been reading and using your Perry Reflex for years ... MANY THANKS !!!

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 03:53:00 am »
Thanks GPW.

To be honest, Steve here is much more impressive than I.  Pay attention to what he shows you.  It is Great info.

Dan

Rich Saffold

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 04:19:31 am »
Hi Steve, I tried a similar bow recently using a thin bamboo backing. It was real quick for a dozen shots before it chrysalled . I'll try again if I find some poplar which feels like it could handle the compression. The mass is so low, the bow can't help but be fast if it stays together.  Trade-offs ;)

Rich-

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 07:47:11 am »
Very nice Steve. I gather this was Yellow Poplar? You say ELB. Was it also D section?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 08:50:08 am »
Good craftsmanship, but in a sense wasted effort. I think that poplar will never do in long term. It only depends how long it takes till it actually chrysals or give up completelly. (And its never too long)
There is certain type of bend which bellongs to target english bows, even lightweight ones and I dont think it is possible to make it in poplar.
Did you, Steve considered some different lightweight low hysteresis wood. Like black cherry with maple backing? I think that for weight sub 40# it will be excellent combination....

Jaro

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 11:03:54 am »
Jaro, for light weight longbows will probably use maple backed cherry in the future, have in the past and it works pretty well. That poplar has fantastic speed until it chrysals. Steve

Dan Perry, is far too mdest!!

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:34 am »
This is probably due to low hysteresis and I think its the reason why it makes so good distance shaft - better than ash anyway. At least until shot at hard target.

Jaro

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 06:38:52 pm »
Steve, I'd like to see you make a one hit wonder bow from Port Orford Cedar or Sitka Spruce. That would be interesting.
 Pat

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 03:35:05 am »
Pat, I had a piece of sitka spruce i was eyeballing this morning for a 35# elb. Thining maybe a thin maple or elm back. let you know how it works.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 01:14:14 am »
Steve, Looking forward to it. Actually it should be done now ;) 
 Pat

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 10:54:57 am »
Tiller  looks darn good, Badger. As you know I love that design. Looks like you added a bit of reflex to the tips  which has been picked up above. As for the chrysalling, that's the way it goes. Getting poplar to 30 inches is  a  pretty good accomplishment. As for flight shooting, if I could find a field around here in S NH that doesn't have a house on it now I'd be a joyful participant. Welcome back, Dan. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gpw

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 10:12:48 am »
 We've made a bunch of lighter weight,50lbs,ELB's  from hickory backed Red cedar.."Perry Reflex" sometimes up to 4"...all had great cast... the trick of not getting fretting, is to use a thinner backing..the thicker less stretch backings just put too much compression on the belly, even the flatter bellies... we made some light elb's with 1/4" hickory backing on Purpleheart  .. dumb dumb ... all fretted badly ..if you think your backing is too thin for safety , we just glue a layer of polyesther camo net on that ... easier to get than that snake ... :o  deer don't know the difference...hahahahaha
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:15:08 am by gpw »

duffontap

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 04:19:19 pm »
I would LOVE to go to a flight shoot if it weren't in the middle of Elk, Deer, and Bear season.  If that ever changes--I'm there. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 05:01:30 pm »
J.D. I have heard a lot of guys say the same thing, we should start our own flight shooting association with classes more tailored toward what we do in primitive. Also have more flight shoots available to guys who can't travel 3,000 miles. Steve