Author Topic: Mulberry...  (Read 12978 times)

Roger

Re: Mulberry...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 09:19:27 pm »
Mulbery makes a fine bow. I treat it like Osage cept a lil wider. Works like Osage only easier. I always wanted to try one with a sinew back. I have some primo billets I may have to give it a go.

Here's a Boo/Mulberry bow...average cast...real soft release.

R

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 10:35:13 pm »
Paul, throw some garlic, ginger and soy sauce in there with it, too. mmmmmm. Mulberries might be good with it too come to think of it lol.

Eddie, it's red mulberry, probably the same one you've got down there. It probably varies from tree to tree. Mulberry is dioecious, has seperate male and female trees. The one I gave you a chunk of was a male, don't know if it makes a difference, but I've made two good bows from the same log so far. They do wind up a bit thicker than usual for the draw weight.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 11:52:01 pm »
David, I usually don't think of Popeye(akakakakak) but use olive oil like you do. It is my main cooking oil. I use safflower oil for deep frying. Cooked osage with olive oil has a sorta nutty smell. Very pleasant. I have never had a problem removing oil from the wood after heating. It doesn't seem to sink in to the wood too far so a bit of light scraping and some acetone or alcohol will  do the trick.
   Any kind of oil or grease will prevent the wood from scorching and I believe it helps distribute the heat evenly and helps hold the heat longer.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gpw

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 10:36:06 am »
  the way it grows around here , there's plenty of choices in trees , without having to go far....how do you tell the tree gender...twigs and berries...??? ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 11:01:18 am »
If it has berries it a female. If it has nuts it a...hickory.  ::) ;D   Seriously, look for berries for a female. I'd bet even the males will make a good bow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gpw

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 08:54:16 am »
Thanks , I'll have to be more aware of the gender next time ... Have no idea what this stave is...other than calling to me to make a bow...

awhile back , someone said ''any fruit or nut tree will make a good bow"...banana tree... ::) I dunno'!!!