Author Topic: Another newbie question.. Backed vs unbacked  (Read 2728 times)

Offline drewleiter

Another newbie question.. Backed vs unbacked
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »
So Im about to start making my first bow and not sure whether or not to back it. If I do back it then what are some good methods that even a first timer couldnt screw up?

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Another newbie question.. Backed vs unbacked
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:19:59 pm »
If you are talking about a material other than a wood backing, then linen -my personal favorite-, silk, or raw hide are all good choices and can be applied with Titebond ll or illl with good results. It will take a day two to dry out after application. Keep us posted, good luck. Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:44:56 pm »
I agree linen or silk are great. You may want to back the bow for added security, but it is not really neccesary. Good Luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:12:00 pm »
If I have a stave with a good back they stay naked. If I have a stave with crappy back or extra thin rings and knots I'll back it with rawehide, silk or linen. With board staves you can back them with wood like hickory, elm and other tension strong backings or with rawhide, silk, linen or brown grocery bag paper. You can use the brown paper on stave bows too.
  Not every bow needs backing. Infact most don't.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »
What type of wood is it and is it a board or a stave? And do you have any pictures? That'll help determine whether it needs backed or not. Air is my favorite backing   ;)

Offline drewleiter

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:58:04 pm »
I dont have any pictures on my computer yet, im feeling a little lazy today. Its a red oak board 1x2x6. I used what Ive read on here and other sites to pick what I think is a good piece although I could be totally wrong. Ill probably post some pics tomorrow before I actually get started on it. If I were to back it with some type of fabric then should I pull the fabric tight while Im putting it on or just lay it flat? I know since I havent even started on it yet thats still a little while off but its always good to know what the plan is before you start.

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 02:08:03 am »
what design, what wood,what is the quality of the grain. if your design is good and you have a nice back with good grain a backing is not needed, post some pics when you get started. you have picked a great site to start asking questions there are some pretty smart folks here.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline drewleiter

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
Its red oak. Im following a build along on poorfolksbow.com. Its going to be a board bow I believe its called. Hopefully my choice of wood wasnt too bad.

Offline drewleiter

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:09:18 pm »
All my cameras are inop right now so sorry about the quality of the pics.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:02:50 am »
Definitely back it... That board has some nasty swirls and run offs but should be safe with a good backing.for your next bow look for a board with better grain and it should be fine without a backing with a good tiller.. Good luck on your bow...