Author Topic: Flipping Tips  (Read 11745 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Flipping Tips
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 04:20:03 pm »
  I was given signed copys when they first came out, no I said I never got splinters from fliping tips with heat on seasoned wood. If you dso it's simply because you went to fast.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline lowell

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 09:39:48 pm »
  You ever think steaming seasoned wood is why your getting splinters. Even though your fixing them. So far you've lot lucky and the splinters were not deep that you could use your BELTSANDER. When I used to flip tips I did dozzens of bows and never got a splinter. And I SURE NEVER USED A BELTSANDER. I'M SURE YOU USE A BANDSAW TO. Not very primitive AND CAN JUST SEE COUPLE INDAINS SETTING AROUND THE FIRE PASSING THE BELT SANDER AROUND. But then again I don't use flint scrapers.

Just kidding BOW NUT each his own. I was just taught not to use power tools. I was taught by my meteor that your heart and spirit will not flow into the wood like this and anything none easy is not appreciated.

Build bows the way you want, your bows look fine.

I don't use a belt sander but only because I don't want to.

I do use a band saw and once and a while guys say "did Indians have a band saw??"....and I always say, if they would have had one, they would have used it!!!! :D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »
yea i hear ya its only human nature to use what makes it easier. that guy is full of it but I have been having fun with him getting him all worked up lol.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 07:46:08 am »
Glad to see this is staying civil ,I had my doubts for a while  :)  :) :) Only one comment ,There is NEVER only one way or  the ONLY way to do any of this stuff.
It may be the only way for you but not the only way. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:26 am »
yea sorry pappy, that guy has been making rude comments to almost everything I have posted.  so I decided to mess with him and be a bit rude back.  I guess there are always guys like that and should just not waist my time commenting back.  Just was trying to prove that steaming wood works since so many have said it does not and woof I lit a flame under his butt or something.  Any way I will ignore him next time.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »
Ok Guys....time for a dumb question....
I can see using oil (olive or otherwise) on the limb when bending. But what does that do to the bow as far as later tillering and finishing? Seems like you'd have to give it an oil bath to have a descent finish later on.
Help me on this,
Thanks
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Lombard

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 03:59:25 pm »
jpitts, not a dumb question at all. Between final tillering and sanding most of the residue from the oil or whatever is removed. When it comes time to apply finish some careful wiping with an acetone or alcohol soaked rag will remove those oils, dirt, and dust that could mar your finish.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »
Thanks Lombard.
I just a few moments ago finally got a 56" osage bow to pulling 50# at 28" on a long string. Can I slightly flip the tips if the tips are fairly thin?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Lombard

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 05:42:36 pm »
Be careful J, as what you get on the long string and what you get when the bow is at low brace will be two different things. It has to do with the string angles and their effects as levers. It is a good practice to long string tiller to get the wood bending enough for low brace, and then slowly get the wood bending evenly to full brace. All the while never pulling beyond your intended draw weight.

This link will take you to a thread that has helpful information. Follow Badger's guidelines in this post, and you will discover one of the secrets of good tillering and bow design. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17294.0.html

Offline jpitts

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 02:20:52 am »
Thanks Lombard.
I really appreciate the thread too. I remember reading it back then.
I normally use that method when tillering. I have gotten to the point where I'm at the weight I want at 28" using my longer string and was wondering if I needed to flip the tips  before going to the regular string or wait till I'm closer to the end of tillering.
Never tried to flip tips before but like the profile of bows that have it.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia