Author Topic: Just Another Bow  (Read 18517 times)

Offline DanaM

Just Another Bow
« on: June 18, 2007, 09:18:47 pm »
Here is another one of my linen backed ash board bows, its certainly nothing special.
62.5" NTN 50#@26", finish is balck rit dye with true oil , Hemp cordage wrapped handle
no rest so I can shoot it either right or left. I was in a hurry to build this one as I had given all my other bows away ::)
It shows that I hurried I have about 100 shots thru it and it has developed a hinge in both limbs and is starting to fret :(
But I will be happy if it holds up a few months until I can get something else shootin.

Don please don't include this in the BOM as it is not worthy.

To the rest of ya please criticize away I value yer comments.

Dana

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: Just Another Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:19:38 pm »
The full draw pics, are they acceptable Justin? ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:30:57 pm »
I guess that will be sufficient.  Nice looking bow.  It looks pretty special to me.  I like the way the handle, backing and color all blend together.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:33:54 pm »
I was lookin for hinges, where are the hinges? I don't see any hinges ;D
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:37:15 pm »
Top limb last third and bottom limb in the fade area are showing frets and the string follow appears to be increasing everytime I shoot it.
Perhaps it ain't from hinges maybe a bad board I'm not sure, I guess I'm assuming its from hinges

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:44:02 pm »
I don't know what is causing the frets, but there aren't any hinges.  I see perfect tiller.  Well the bottom limb might bend a little less than the top,  but the bending looks great.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:48:06 pm »
Thanks Justin, I've made a few of these ash bows with no frets yet, I can't explain the frets except by way of subtle hinges.

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:51:35 pm »
Seems like I can see a little something right at the fade on the bottom limb, like it's bending a tad more there than the top limb. But I can't detect anything on the top limb - not that I would know, but if you have frets - is the back right? I hesitate to ask - cause obviously you know how to build a bow. 
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:56:08 pm »
cowboy its a board bow with linen backing, the grain is fairly straight has some run offs but the linen should keep the back together.
I'm new at this also, I believe Jawge doesn't like ash because it frets perhaps he will chime in and shed some light. The frets are small(for now)
perhaps they won't get any worse. The bow shoots well with  no hand shock so I can't complain to much eh.

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:00:44 pm »
Tiller looks good, nothing to be ashamed of for sure, sometimes a bow just doesn't work out for a bad piece of wood. Steve

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:56:23 pm »
I agree, I don't see hinges, don't be so hard on yourself Dana.
VB

huntersim

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:13:45 pm »
Dana, it might just be me but it looks like the upper limb bends a bit fast about a hands length from the tip. As far as the bottom limb goes, it looks to bend a bit faster right off the fades than the upper but i cant see and hinges in it.  I might be wrong though. Tiller is the hardest part of building bows for me.

Other than that, it looks like a good bow to me. I like the way you camo the back of your bows. It just says....hunting bow. Thats what its about to me.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:41:49 pm »
Hunter, I saw exactly the same thing you saw, but as you say not drasitic. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 05:52:57 am »
Not worthy  ??? Looks good to me,Nice tips and I love the grip.Good job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:46:00 am »
Badger and matt good eyes that is exactly where the fretting is occuring, is it possible to have fretting that doesn't get any worse?
Pappy I really like this style of grip myself its very comfy in the hand, thanks for the kind words guys.

Manistique, MI