Author Topic: How many do you own with band aids?  (Read 4753 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
How many do you own with band aids?
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »
How many bows do you guys have with some type of wrap on them holding something together to keep the ol' girl shooting? I think half my osage bows have some type of bandage on them!  ;D
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: How many do you own with band aids?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54:56 am »
I've got three of four.  Those twisty "challenge" osage pieces sometimes give way on you when you try some radical steaming.  The most memorable bow though, was the bow that I won the Eagle Eye Championship at Denton Hills, PA back in 1997? with.  It had a major bandaid holding down a lift at about mid-limb.  To boot, I won it with an arrow that I reclaimed from the cornfield after a winter season of snow.  I retired that bow after that.  Still have it.  The bow gods were shining down on me.  It was a good day.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:56:06 am »
Pearlie, my favorite "bandaid bow",and I still shoot her on occasion is "Trouble Maker(handle with care)"!  ;D   She began as a 61" t/t boo backed hickory bow but the boo overpowered the hickory so I sanded the hickory down to 1/8"thick t/t and added an osage belly of spliced lams. Shortly after that the handle popped off and the osage splice gave way so after reglueing I added another handle with 3 thin lams and wrapped the handle with hemp cord(first time I used this) and set it in Massey finish. Even after I did that the handle still wanted to lift so I added a rawhide wrap on one fade then a silk wrap just below that.  So far so good. She was built in 2007!  ;)
 Now "Trouble Maker" is still 61" t/t, a frog hair over 1" wide at the fade with a straight taper to 3/8" tips and pulls at least 55#@26" and spits an arrow with authority.  8)
  This bow is a good example of why I don't throw failures away. I have other success stories and still other ones waiting to happen.  ;D
  Generally I know when I have a special bow. If things start to go wrong I try to fix them until they either get dangerous or it just ain't worth it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:22 am »
None....They aint worth getting hurt over....JMO...I make stakes or firewood from them...and start again.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:08:27 am »
When bows go they can easily take your out eye....
I know a guy who got a BIG splinter (half a limb!) through his cheek. It went in just below his eye and came out just in front of his ear....3 hours in hospital removing it....oooouch!
I remember making a mollegabet flight bow and really pushing the limits with it's width. Everything was fine until a minor overdraw and BOOM...one limb went about 60 yds with a LOT of force....
It really isn't worth 'fixing' bows in my opion - if something is wrong with it chalk it upto experience and make another better one.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:30:03 am »
I'm like Mike, none, but for a different reason.I think they are ugly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
My band aids are minor. The current osage bow I am working on is quite snakey and it seems one of the bends wants to "peel" on the side of the limb. I wrapped the area in a 2" wide sinew and glue band to ensure it doesnt peel anymore. I dont think it would have broke to start with, but I cant have a "peel" letting moisture in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:34 am »
I'm a little leary of patching them up myself.  Had a RO bow blow on me a couple of months ago (braced it too high), and hit me across the face and across my eye.  Took me a couple of minutes to convince myself to open my eye and make sure I could still see out of it after that.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »
Fixed a lot of cracked bows with bandaids, only had one bbo fail at a node that I didn't go far enough with the wrap. The rest are still shooting years later, all are osage which is more tolerant of small flaws than other woods.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:32:31 pm »
I have one.  The first bamboo backed hickory bow I ever built.  the handle poped so I glued it back down and wraped the fades whith himp and coated the himp with epoxy.  Still have it 6 years later and 4 nice deer later.  I dont shoot it much anymore because I have so many more nicer ones now but still love that good old bow.  As for now I am with mullet If I have to apply a bandaid I put it in the to mess with latter pile because i dont like the way it looks.  I have about 5 in the pile all bamboo backed somthing no self bows yet,  Hope to maybe get a kids bow or two out of the pile.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »
I have one with a bandaid
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:54 pm »
I have a couple with band aids and a couple that have chrysaled badly due to the extreme design.... I have a special place for them.... in the corner o my closet cause I only like using bows that I know will last...  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 10:36:21 pm »
This years bow has some wind shakes that I superglued. No wrap.
You can see it here.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/crookedbow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!