Author Topic: Tip Overlays  (Read 3222 times)

Offline DLH

Tip Overlays
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:39 pm »
Been breaking tip overlays lately. The glue isn't holding up idk what it is I might not be gluing it up good enough enough. Its not pulling wood when the joint pops so I think I'm not doing something wrong. What do y'all think do you need me to post pictures? Thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Tip Overlays
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:35:16 pm »
Yep! Let's see some pictures. I've been cutting mine in half with fast Flight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:43:25 am »

What should I do just re glue it? Its made me really mad lately cause this is the second one giving me fits just want a shooter lol.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:58:06 am »
Those pics are so fuzzy it's pretty hard to make out what you are describing.  What do you use to attach your overlays?  I've been using crazy glue and have never had a problem.

And of course make sure both surfaces are perfectly flat so there are no gaps in your joint, and you should be good to go :)

Offline DLH

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:31:26 am »
Tite bond 3. Guess i'll just try to glue it back up.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:44:40 am »
I use a two part epoxy. Not a lot of glueing surface there. Araldite blue.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:47 am »
I've used TB glues, superglue(both gel and thin) and 2ton epoxy all with good results. The glue probably isn't your problem. What is the bow made from and what are the overlays? Are both glue surfaces flat, smooth and well mated?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DLH

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 02:50:04 pm »
Hickory bow and walnut overlays. I think the surfaces are well mate couldn't see light through the two pieces when held up to the light. What about starving the glue joint? Hows that happen to tight of clamps? Thanks

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 06:45:41 pm »
You can starve a glue joint by to much pressure but its not likely with glues other than epoxies .
make sure you sand both surfaces right before you glue so there is nothing to prevent the glue from getting a hold on the wood (oil from your hands ,wood that is oxidised , etc )
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:43 pm »
I usually wipe the preped areas with acetone or paint thinner and either use spring clamps or rubber bands, ya dont need a ton of pressher, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline eflanders

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:37:56 am »
With the woods mentioned, you don't need to wipe them off with acetone or alcohol.  I too have used TBIII, super glue and other adhesives and I have never had an issue.  I am assuming this is an all-wood bow, right?  Clamping too hard could possibly be the issue, but not likely...  How slick are the mating surfaces, are they polished to a glass-like surface finish?  If so, you may need to roughen up the mating surfaces some.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:59 am »
   Are your tips so thin there flexing some how they don't look it. It dos'nt take much to hold inlays on. After there mate together I ruff up both peices. I use just about everything never had that problem.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »
yeh whith some woods ya dont need to wipe'em with acetone, but if I do it on all of it I dont forget to do it on the woods that need it, like epe, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹