Author Topic: Magyar Horn Composite  (Read 24149 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Magyar Horn Composite
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2013, 03:48:25 pm »
Very good bow.
How long did you let the sinew cure?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:33 pm »
She's a beauty of a bow.

What kind of horn did you use on the belly?  And did you v-splice the siyahs or are they bent from a single piece of maple?

I made something like this once, it didn't come out nearly as nice as yours but it was a heck of a lot of fun to put together.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »
Boy James, I always start hyperventilating when I see a new post from you. Exceptional as always!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »
That is an amazing work.  I can't imagine how that feels to shoot. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »
that is simply incredible :o excellent craftsmanship

Offline Keenan

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2013, 11:20:06 pm »
I have never seen a bow from you that didn't make me drool! Incredible as always

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2013, 02:18:37 am »
Wonderful work James.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline coaster500

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:36 am »
Just no getting by it Mr Parker you are a master craftsman.....  amazing work!!!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:22 am »
James....I see you gave your bow the extra attention to detail that it deserved.One thing,I watched your video of you shooting and could'nt help but noticing that,now correct me if I'm wrong you were shooting on the right side of the bow being right handed.Can you explain the reason for this?I assume you are using a thumb ring.I am not familiar seeing or doing this.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bhenders

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2013, 11:03:41 am »
One thing,I watched your video of you shooting and could'nt help but noticing that,now correct me if I'm wrong you were shooting on the right side of the bow being right handed.Can you explain the reason for this?I assume you are using a thumb ring.I am not familiar seeing or doing this.

I can answer that for you (sorry, don't mean to butt in here but...).  When using a thumb draw the arrow goes on the 'outside' of the bow so that you are shooting off of your thumb and not your fingers.  When you hook the thumb around the string, you also rotate the hand INTO the string to keep the nock on the string.  This also presses the arrow into contact with the bow and allows you to shoot from ANY position.  With this grip and draw style you can hold the bow horizontal with the arrow on the bottom and still shoot.  Most ancient styles of shooting used thumb draws and not the 'English' three finger draw.

The thumb draw also eliminates most wrist slap if you're doing it correctly because the string is released straight and doesn't come off the fingers and into the wrist.  The Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, Romans, Sassainds, Turks all used thumb draws.

You can use a hard plastic or horn  thumb ring or just use the thumb from a leather glove or make a simple leather thumb ring. (Note:  Hard plastic or horn thumb rings take some time getting used to shooting with - I've found that they introduce a measure of quantum uncertainty in my shooting so I use a leather one. )  Def: Quantum Uncertanity - I hit the target or the neighbors yard.

The actual mechanics are:  With your hand facing downward, hook the thumb around the string just below the arrow nock.  Bend your index finger down over your thumbnail to lock the grip and rotate your wrist so your hand pushes into the string.  Pull back to your anchor point and then release both index finger and thumb... it acts just like a quick release.

Easier way to learn:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0wmBeoRoc
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX8UQEmXB7s  (check out the bow he's using - NOT traditonal  )
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:16:19 am by bhenders »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2013, 12:07:37 pm »
bhenders....well thanks for the reasons and demonstrations you sent.Very good video.Making it easier to shoot from a horse too.Interesting.I noticed that the arrow nock must snap properly to the string.Using the mediteranean style like I shoot I can pinch the arrow slightly between index finger and middle finger to keep it socketed tight against the string if the self nock is too loose.Dangerous to a degree I know.But not have the pressure exerted to the arrow shaft that the thumb release does.Although taking a bigger bite onto the fingers mediteranean style can put pressure on the shaft to a degree too.The thumb release I see reduces the friction of release.More like a trigger.I assume someone can shoot an asiatic with a mediteranean release if they want to yet.
BowEd
Ed

Offline rhansen

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
Ok, now that is cool!!

Offline tanner

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »
I guess I'm late to this party. That is probably the coolest bow I've seen in my year of trolling this site! Very well done!

PS - change your web address in your signature. I had to go google-stalk you to find the correct one. Fantastic work sir!

http://www.huntworthy.net

Offline bhenders

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 02:52:39 pm »
...But not have the pressure exerted to the arrow shaft that the thumb release does...

The arrow nock gets locked into the string by the twist of the wrist.  Never had one fall off yet.  You can shoot them any way you want.  I got an inexpensive Korean bow and it's a joy to shoot and FAST too.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »
Fantastic awesome bow. No.1. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."