Author Topic: A beautiful gift from Cameroo  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
A beautiful gift from Cameroo
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »
Thank you very much Cameroo, I am lucky to have been paired with you for the bow trade.

Cameroo went all out for this trade! I received a gorgeous hickory backed osage longbow that is graceful and smooth, fitted with a tightly twisted string, string keeper and bow case and a hand worked leather wrist guard. It all came shipped in an indestructible 3'' PVC  tube. Wow, this totally exceeded my expectations!

The bow shoots where I look and has great cast, spitting out arrows with purpose and determination. The Strunk style grip is very comfortable and looks great, too!

The nocks are three vertical layers of osage and dark hardwood, expertly rounded and smooth. The chef-d'oeuvre's finish is satin smooth and has a rich glow. Being the only osage bow I own, I am constantly attracted to the depth of the yellow wood's grain.

The bow is graceful in its length and reminds me of the victorian era longbows we see in the old archery books, you know those bows that are mystifying by their elegance and clever simplicity?

I'll say it again, thank you Cameroo for this work of art that has to be a cornerstone of your bowyery.

Enjoy guys! I know I am!
Cheers
Matthieu
Quebec, Canada

Offline Mangeur de lard

Re: A beautiful gift from Cameroo
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:59:57 pm »
pics
Quebec, Canada

Offline Mangeur de lard

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:03:15 pm »
encore
Quebec, Canada

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »
that is one sweet bow.i like the strunk inspired handle.a class act all the way,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
Very nice! congrats on being the lucky dog that got that one. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:30:11 pm »
You are quite welcome Matt.  I'm glad you finally got a chance to try it out, and that it's shooting well for you.  The suspense was killing me over the last week, waiting for the "official" review :)

That was my first osage bow too, and I'm glad I have another one just like it floor tillered for myself.  I love the long yellow curls that come off it when scraping.  Nothing like the maple that I'm used to working with.  And from what I've read, the combo of compression strong osage backed with tension strong hickory should make for a bow that's pretty much indestructible.

You can thank Canada Post for going on strike and giving me the time to make some extra accessories :)  Although Fed Ex ended up being cheaper with faster delivery anyway.

A random tidbit on the armguard - The image of the primitive archer was from a cave drawing that was depicted in one of the TBB, I believe it was volume 2.  I wish I could have made it a bit more personal for you, but you don't post much on here, and I really didn't know what your tastes were.  I hope you like it anyway.

It's funny how us 3 Canucks ended up trading with each other - I made one for you, you made one for Darcy, and Darcy made one for me.  :)  I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures from Darcy and hearing more about the cable-backed bow you made for him.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:42:19 pm »
If I were any good id have been in the trade too!  ;D

Yeah, I ordered 6 flue-flus from 3R and Canada Posts makin' me wait longer and longer!

YB
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »
That is one sweet looking bow.  All the extra goodies make for some delicious icing on the cake.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:47:50 pm »
Very nice! Love the details, sets it all off quite famously ;D congratulations!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 04:40:34 am »
Yes, very lovely bow. Great job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:05 pm »
Sweet tiller on that, cute minimalist tip overlay too.
Mind you can have too much minimalism ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.