Author Topic: Big Storm Trees Down Need Help IDing them ok got it what yall think  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Big Storm Trees Down Need Help IDing them ok got it what yall think
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:50 pm »
The first tree is one of the red oaks! Either red or scarlet, I'm not sure. Any of the oaks that have "pins" at the end of its lobes are of the red oak variety. The white oaks have rounded lobes with no pins.  Most oaks are divided into red or white oaks with many varieties of each.
  I'm not takt familiar with elms but it looks like red. If it has corky wings on the small branches it is winged elm. Lots of that in and around the Atlanta area.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »
not sure what you mean by corkey wing but they looked like pretty normal smooth branches.  how many staves should a 12" diameter log like that yeald some of the rings are dang near 3/4" thick in areas.  and what is better a combo of heart and sap wood or all sap wood for the bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:27 pm »
I'd split it in half first. You can peel the bark right off this time of year. Seal the ends and back. Once you get the bark off you will be able to tell how many staves but at least 2 or 3 from each half. Use the wood right under the bark as your back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »
Ok thanks Pat  I cant wait to work with it.  I have only made osage self bows as of yet and only two other than my scraps bow how durable is it can I put any reflex in it or just let the stave do what it wants and tiller it accordingly? oh and is 6 months long enough to let it cure?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 06:43:58 pm »
This is the first elm bow I made. It was for a trade bow on TradGang earlier this year. It is 60"t/t and I think 55@28" if memory serves me well. Red elm is a fantastic bow wood and that is coming from a confirmed osage junkie!  :D

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »
oh wow beautifull bow is that the cambian layer on the back or did you do that your self.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 06:52:30 pm »
The backing is giraffe print tissue paper I glued to the back for decoration.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »
looks good I like it

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:23 am »
Pat that is an AWESOME bow, Love everything about it
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:39 am »
Pat that bow is beautiful.. Wow
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.