Author Topic: Resourcinol experience?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Resourcinol experience?
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:45 am »
Jsut curious if any of you guys have any experience with resourcinol glue.  Sin'e my access to Urac days are numbered I'm looking for a compatible switch.  I found reference to this and G-2 on Dean Torges blog.

I started with Rudder Bows bow bond epoxy which I suspect he is repackaging.  Then the3 Rivers guys turned me onto Urac and I've been on honeymoon eversince.  I love the lower temp cure and higher heat stability, gap filling, water cleanup, and the smell.  I don't know why but epoxies make me skate on the verge of gagging.  I'll get over it if needs be but Urac for me has angelic light alover it.  Oh and the price was awesome IMO.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Resourcinol experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:54:57 am »
What's going in with Urac??

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:15:10 am »
Stopping production.  Product line dropped.  Nelson gets it from another company who sends it to them in drums.  Apparently they loose alot to spoilage.  The recession increased that spoilage loss to 50%.  I'm guessing they lost some comercial clients.  The mixing company is supposed to be a Six Sigma company but someone should recend their certifications because the guy was talking about 1o0K batches or more at the mixing runs.  Six sigma is all about one piece flow or as close as can be gotten to that.  Minimal inventory etc.  Somewhere along the way an opportunity was missed to go from economies of scale, the old paradigm in business, to economies of speed.  Produce in large quantities and minimize input costs by buying in bulk verses produce smaller runs more frequently.  Basic statistics will give a rough forecast as to how much to make to minimize spoilage loss.  Inventory costs go down but other costs may increase.  However on net it should work out.

They have been mixing it since the 40's so that was definatly Henery Ford thinking and I'm guessing modernizing the line got passed over for more lucrative options.

I see it also as a failure in marketing.  I've been an avid wood worker for years and I've never heard of Urac till I got into bow building.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:19:38 am »
I think Comstock or Hamm referred to it as the greatest bowmaking glue ever made apart from what some find objectionable about the glue-line color.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:11:54 pm »
I have had good results with it.  It is incredibly strong, waterproof and non-reversible.  It has a reasonable open time, and doesnt smell too bad.  You have to be careful to mix it very thoroughly, and measure out the two parts carefully by weight according to the manufacturer's instructions.  As Pat says, the glue line can be a drag, especially if your mating surfaces are not really good, and the colour is awkward if you're working with nice bright yellow osage - the glue I use is browny purple.  Other things to watch our for are to keep it off your hands and clothes, and anything else that you want to keep clean (including the non-bonded side of hickory backings....aaargh!).  Finally be careful with a newly glued-up stave because the edges of the glue runoff can be very sharp when dry.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Big A

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:54 pm »
We have had good experience with it on splices at Twin Oaks. Gary Davis turned us on to it almost ten years ago. He uses it on his bows also.
Big A

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:35:26 pm »
Ahhh it's the purple one.  Glad to hear it's so strong.  My joints are usualy pretty good.  I use TB3 in my riser seams so I'm only using this for bamboo and core lamination seams and belly patches.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:50 pm »
Ahhh it's the purple one.  Glad to hear it's so strong.  My joints are usualy pretty good.  I use TB3 in my riser seams so I'm only using this for bamboo and core lamination seams and belly patches.
Why not just use TB3 for everything? Whats the thinking behind using different glues in the same bow?
Resourcinol is excellent glue. I've used a lot of it and have only good things to say about it. With good prep the gluelines can look like a feature and not detract from the look.
G2 is also very good but i've found it needs a keyed surface for the best bond. Clear gluelines.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:37 am »
Some glues are better in some applications than others.  TB3 I've read can be used for the whole bows but it's less than ideal I think.  I think for now I'll stock up on Urac then I'll be using G-2 and Resourcinol for patches.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:39:22 am »
What laminated bow application is TB3 not suitable for?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 05:34:50 am »
Well I don't know but guys I respect suggest it's not the best in the working parts of the limbs given other choices.  It dosen't have the best gap filling properties compared to the catalytic glues.  Pluss it dries kinda soft in comparison and is not as waterproof as I once thought.

I love TB3 for many applications, but for working limbs I like Urac better. . . I guess.  You are going to make me go glue up a bow with TB3 and test it arent you?

Oh!  I remember! George Torges blog he talks about glues at length.  The furniture types of glues require alot of clamping pressure to bond well but this starves the joint in a bow limb and creates a weaker seam.... they say.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »
Dap Weldwood has also discontinued their resourcinol glue.  It is available by a different supplier under a different name.  An amazon search lead me through a serries of links to get there.  Still purple.

I also found Dap Weldwoods plastic resin glue.  It is UF glue that comes as a powder and is mixed with water to activate and make a batch.  Has anyone worked with this?

thanks,
Scott

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:10:33 pm »
It is available by a different supplier under a different name. 

What is the name of the different supplier?
Gordon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »
dont remember... Amazon had it.