Author Topic: First Board Bow - PLS HELP WITH TILLER!  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Speratus

First Board Bow - PLS HELP WITH TILLER!
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first Board bow. Paper backed oak. Right now it's pulling 45lbs @ 29". Followed Sam Harpers Board Bow build a long from PoorFolkBows.com.
I know there are tons of more experienced amateur or professional bowyers online here and was hoping for someone to take a look at my tiller.
Seriously, my eyes have been playing tricks on me. All the measurements add up but I wondering if it looks right. It doesn't help my wife took the pic at a bit of an angle or that I'm holding the bow higher than normal or drawing higher than normal. Here are two pics. Please let me know what you think. The second pic is just side ways.
Cheers Everyone!
Dylan aka Speratus ;D

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: First Board Bow - PLS HELP WITH TILLER!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:35 pm »
looks like it needs a few more scrapes in the top limb from the fades out 8 or so inches.  Other than that, great job on your first!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »
For a first board bow,,, Not bad at all.
You might work on the handle a bit, and see if you can trim it down, It looks a little bulky.
I think with a slimmer handle area, you can get the area around the fades to bend a bit more.
But with that said I have only built a half a dozen or so bows.
I'm sure some one with an expert eye will post a comment.
Good work Dylan
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:15 pm »
Good start.  You should get the wood near the fades working more (roughly the inner third of each limb).  Right now that area is static on both limbs, which gives you an incredibly long handle section and much too short working limb.  That should clean up the tiller.  Keep up the good work  :)

Regards,

Curt
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »
How long is it?  It looks close to being about 76" long. If so id let it be and call it done even though the fades are stiff,and chalk it up as what to do better next time. Especially if you don't wanna lose anymore weight. Good job though on your first one. Enjoy it as well.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:34:46 pm »
having a longer bow like that you actually want it to be a little whip tillered like that... It is supposed to improve cast with those longer ones.  oh and it reduces felt hand shock as well. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:38:07 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »
Fun ain't it? Nice job too.

Some of the boyers on here are unbelievably good and very willing to help. This I know from experience. But in order for them to give their best advice certain info really helps.

Pic's of the bow unstrung, braced and at full draw are almost required fields. Also a pic of the bow (comfortably) on a tiller tree is a big help.

Length of the bow helps as well as the weight and draw length you are trying for.

This ain't criticism mind you, just advice.

Again, nice work Speratus. Looking forward to the next one.

Lane

Offline Speratus

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »
Hey guys! Thank you so much for all your help! I do want to get it bending more at the fades but don't want to lose too much weight.
Lane, thx for the advice, I didn't know so that helps me a ton; I will get photos tonight and post them for comments.

Will also measure bow length; I think it's 73" but will verify. Gunning for 40lbs @ 28" give a take cpl lbs. I've got it at 45lbs @ 29" now b/c I figure after sanding and shooting it will drop a bit in weight.

Speratus

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »
I argee with what Black Hawk said I don't think I would tiller anymore, with as long as it .
john 3:16

Offline Speratus

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 01:22:29 am »
Hi guys, As promised, home from work with pictures.

Okay, I should let you know that when i got this oak board it had some set in it or perhaps it was warped - either way it had a bit of a "bow" in it already (between 1-2"). me being a bit of a dum dum (not realizing that after tillering there'd be a bit of set) tried to use it to my advantage. I thought it'd be easier to get it to bend.

long story short - as you can see in my unbraced picture, it now has a bit over 3" of set in it. Ohh well live and learn I guess. I'm still happy with it.

tip to tip it's 72" and nock to nock it's 67". As mentioned earlier was going for 40lbs @ 28". @ 28" now it's about 43lbs @ 28". I figure after sanding, finishing and shooting the bow a few times, the weight will probably drop to 40lbs. I've exercised it to 30" @ 48lbs to make sure it don't break if over drawn.

Please comment - based on the other pictures posted.

Sorry for the angle in the pics, as I was standing on a chair and couldn't get the camera directly over the bow without falling over.

Speratus

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 02:20:30 am »
Keep in mind when building a bow, NEVER EVER , pull it passed the intended draw length or  weight.  :o
Now you have a bow under your belt, I have to ask.   How does it feel? Kind of addicting isn't it?  ;D
Hopefully you learned a thing or two you can put into your next bow.
After shooting this bow for a while, if the poundage drops you could always nip the tips,, take an inch off of each end,
you could gain some weight back.
Good job
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Speratus

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 02:26:51 am »
Thank you for letting me know! Very addicting! I'm already thinking of my next one. I'll be finishing the handle, sanding and staining and finishing over the next few days. I'm gonna take the advice and not tiller any more. Will post pics when done!

Thank you all for comments!
Speratus

Offline Speratus

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »
It's been finished for quite a while guys, and I've just been lazy in posting pics.
She's a beauty and a joy to shoot!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Spera aka Dylanπ

Offline RDK

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »
Nice work!  The first of many!!!!  Just a few months ago I took my first board bow off the rack---it would be some 20+ years old-though I shoot it occassionally....cut it down a bit, retillered it, reworked the tips, shaped the handle a bit, backed it with snake skin and it shoots even better---probably because it looks better   ;D............there is a lot of spirit in the first bows you make........enjoy!!
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 06:48:17 am »
Nice job,I agree with Josh on the upper fad,you could always pike it if it is 73 long,plenty of room to work with,say 68 t-t and fine turn the tiller,or just shoot it and enjoy and start another. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good