Author Topic: Finding Points?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Diligence

Finding Points?
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:49:04 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAWJDrU2VI&feature=feedlik

Okay gang, can somebody please explain this to me.  Why are so many points in one place?  Is this a spot where a craftsman was working and these are his throw-aways?  The point at 7:50 is just excellent.

I admit, I know nothing about archeology, but why in the world are all these in one spot?

J

EDIT TO ADD:  this isn't me in the video, just one that I stumbled onto.....Cheers.  J
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:45:53 am by Diligence »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Tower

Re: Finding Points?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:10:46 pm »
Like most people here I love arrowhead hunting. I'm not there to see your spot but lots of points in one place could be a place of manufacturer . For this to be true there should be lots& lots of waste flakes. It could also be a small camp. Or a butcher site. Also look for other artifacts other than points. This can give a clue to what type a camp & how long the place was in use.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »
My guess would be a campsite where they were living and making them. I've stumbled onto places like that and once even filled a zip lock sandwich baggie about half full all within about a 30 foot radius - wow!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »
Campsite would be my guess.Looked like some black earth in some of them layers,possibly charcoal.maybe some fire cracked rock in there as well. Great find.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:24 am »
That was a straight creek, it was straightened out for flood control runoff.  When it was straightened, they dug through many different sites, what he is showing is where run off has dumped all the rocks and shells.  You can sometimes find the same on gravel bars in normal creeks.  Those spots are usually multi cultural, with every thing from paleo to post contact.  And, the creek keeps putting stuff in the bars, so if you keep checking them after a rainstorm, you will keep finding stuff.  Bill

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:13:47 am »
   Uselly places along creeks have a abunded of materal so they either they moved there whole camp or they'll just make a work site there untill the materal is gone. But it is along water where most main camps were main. So it could be either one. Most work sites are up high at out cropping of chert or some other materal. But they could have carryed the materal to a main camp. But uselly they did'nt do more work than needed.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:46 pm »
Out here, the wind blows away the dirt or sand and leaves depressions in the lanscape called "blowouts".  At the bottom of these blowouts there are sometimes lots of artifacts.  The action of water does the same thing.  Artifacts can become concentrated by the action of wind or water.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:36 am »
i asked once why i could find arrow heads over here by the river and not flint to be found naturally occuring int he region come to find out the cherokee, choctaw's, chickasaw, creek and a few other were massed in the area in the 1000's around this river waiting on the trail of tears even thought they were not allowed a gun to hunt and fish with they still brought alot of their bows and arrows and spears with them for hunting and fishing. they discarded their broken or used heads on the nole where they also made the head out of pieces they brought with them. it was interesting because even after the corp of engineers tilled and covered with granite rocks the arrow head still seam to find their way to the top.
doc

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:06 am »
Since there were points represented from several different traditions, my guess is that it was a favorite campsite.  If the materials & chips were similar, he might be near a quarry site, though I have found a wide range of points & tools of different material near a quarry site.  Wherever it is, that's one heck of a site.

A buddy of mine has land right where the rocks in the river end and the water goes flat, it was/ is a great place to ford the river and catch fish as they run upstream in the Spring.  He has a similar scenario as in the video where all you have to do is wash some of the sand away and the points pop right out.  It is also a great place to look after heavy rains or flooding.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:31:29 pm »
Very interesting information.  The only time I ever find arrow or dart points is when one of my construction jobs has kicked off, then usually, somebody finds an arrow head and the job comes to a crashing halt...lol

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.