Linked Events

• N.C. Primitive Skills Rendez: October 03, 2008 - October 05, 2008

Author Topic: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.  (Read 97781 times)

DBernier

Re: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2008, 03:40:50 pm »
I would like to make a suggestion on insect control. Please bring your bug spray. The Tics and chiggers are a problem all over the south. You would be wise to do this. We will try and have a supply on hand.
   Hooked up the pumphouse for the outside shower and the pump "blew up". Wouldn't you know it. Need to fix that in a hurry. See, it is always something trying to rain on our parade. "Get er done."

Dick, your benevolent dictator   >:D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:52:19 pm by DBernier »

DBernier

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2008, 05:04:17 pm »
OK This is the sign you will be looking for at the entrance to Dennis's driveway. Came put pretty good. Jim will post arrowheads at intersections to help guide the way for those of us who "kinda get confused" with directions. BTW if you look at a flier, check the back as the map should be there. My phone #'s are there and address so don't be bashfull. Call if you have any questions, especially if you come as a vendor. I am getting a lot of calls from people asking if they can sell anything. I am telling them if it pre 1840, or a replica thereof, bring it. I am also getting calls from people who just want to come and camp primitive. The answer is yes. You may be pummeled by the public with questions. What ever you have in the way of your accutrements, bring them along to display for the public to see. Be patient. You were a pilgrim once too.

Dick, your benevolent dictator   >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:08:25 pm by DBernier »

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 12:23:51 pm »
I met Dick at the site again yesterday to do some work on the well.  Dick was there mowing when I arrived and the place looked like a golf green compared to the first time I saw it.  The pump was working, but we could not get the water pressure to stabilize properly no matter what we tried.  I called a friend of mine, Eddie Harris at Eddie's Pump & Well Service (919-918-7858) who is going to go work on it. 

I am working on the directional signs today as it is a light work day for me.  I also spoke with Kevin, who is weldlding the posts for dividers and to attach trash bags to. We should have those in a few days ready for painting.

Every day is getting closer.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2008, 12:05:14 pm »
I just spoke with Dick and his email is down.  So, please call him, or send any emails to me.

Thanks.

Jim

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:44 pm »
so dick do you have a spot there for me,i can come one day, i think this is the second request................................james parker

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2008, 10:38:09 pm »
Hey James,

We'll make a place for you if we need to.  Seriously, there is plenty of space. We'd be happy to have you.  Come on down.

We have been having some heavy storms around here today and Dick's phone was out most of the day.  He's supposed to get his email back tomorrow.  Dick had to put a bunch of money into a tractor to get it operational so the side of the airstrip can be bush-hogged.  Now we have to let the place dry out so it can be mowed properly.
We're about 35 days out.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:46:02 pm by Hardawaypoints »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2008, 09:22:42 am »
James, definitely!!!!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2008, 07:53:02 pm »
James, if you want to camp primitive? I have a big wedge tent with a fly you can use. Will sleep three comfortably. I will have it up and you can use it Friday night if you are there Saturday. I will also have my pop-up camper there. You will have room to spare. Can Becca and Gabriel come with you?

Dick your benevolent dictator   >:D

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2008, 10:12:35 pm »
yeah  dick, she wont let me leave her here,too many ugly guys in kilts gonna be there.im going to bring my flintlock ,can you give me some pointers  on it ?54- cal havent shot it yet.do you still want to help me make a build-along? we can talk about it there,i hope i can get   my stand-by officer  to fill in for me,he may have to patrol the adjacent county that day for another officer,im not sure yet,but i will let you know.thanks for the shelter offer.........james

DBernier

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2008, 07:31:06 am »
James, I like the .54 cal and have hunted with a Lyman percussion one. I will have it there along with a few flintlocks for display. I "probably" can answer your questions.
   Yes I will help you with your build along. My laptop is being upgraded now. I will be out of the state from Sept. 2ed thru Sept 8th and will test the laptop when I get back.
   We all hope your friend can cover for you. Your participation along with Becca and Gabriel will add to the event, especially Gabriel. We plan on making this a yearly event and hope mother nature cooperates with us. Either way we will have a good get together. Jim has been a "BIG" help to me organizing this thing. A public thank you Jim.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:53 am »
No problem, Dick.  Nobody wants to see this event fly more than me.   

What everybody out there doesn't know is that Dick was going to help me with a Knap-In in Hillsborough at the only place I could find (which was tiny).  I had all sorts of vendors lined up. but the wreck I was in last year forced me to abandon those plans as I was not long out of the hospital & unable to drive (or do much of anything else) on the date it was supposed to be held.

The site Dick found is orders of magnitude better than the one I had & his organizing skills are top notch.  This event has the potential of being a regular thing for a good long time.  It is worth working hard for.  We want it to be someting people have a great time at and expect to do every year. Plus, it is something this area needs, aside from the Schiele, there is not another Knap-In for a long ways. Adding the Primitive Skills is the cherry on top.

Jim

DBernier

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2008, 07:02:50 pm »
Well an update on the condition of the site. I finished bushwhacking and did it twice, about 6 acres. I started to "finish" mowing it today, Saturday, and only got about 1/3 done. It is looking good. The main thorough fare is like a golf green and you will be setting up your spots on the runway. The area directly in back is for your camps and your vehicles. There is an alternate parking site in back of my camper which will hold about 50 to 60 vehicles. Just gets the vehicles off the main area if that is what you want to do. When you show up you will be stopping by my  camper and registering before doing anything else. Will take about 5 minutes, that is all. You will also be getting your plot plan of the area. If any of you have any spare folding tables you can bring, do it. It will help to enhance to presentation to the public. Knappers, bring a "small" tarp if you knap alone. I will have a couple of 20 footers for us to use. Jim will have an extra 20 foot long canopy for you knappers in case of rain or sun. It will already be up so that is where you will bust rock. If you want to use the outside shower we just installed bring your bathing suit, soap and towel. I should have a curtin up for you nudes, but you never know.   ;D  I will be in Florida from Sept. 2ed thru Sept 8th. Direct all inquiries to Jim. That is it for now. Later.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:45:24 pm by DBernier »

DBernier

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:29 pm »
We are going to have a raffle and the grand prize will be a youth bow (Pat Brennan) arrows and quiver (Dick) and a guard and glove (Don Ward). Thanks guys. This will be a super nice outfit for a lucky youngster. PA is sending us some items to also auction off and we would be pleased if any of you would donate something for the kids, big kids and small kids. I sure would appreciate it. I have some small glass display cases we can put a knapped arrowhead in and maybe have a half dozen or so to add to the pot. Just a thought. Nothing to outrageous. I am putting two in myself. I really would like to generate enough money to at least cover the Port-a-Johns, about $190. The other expenses we can amortize over the next few years. If everyone who committed to come, comes, we should have 35 to 45 camps there. We will have a range set up for Atlatl and bow. We can use the bow range after the "Primitive bow demo" and the public leaves. I will have a hawk and knife target set up there also. We have 10 bales of hay on hand and will try and get more. We have plenty of available firewood so no big deal. You can dig firepits and cook primitive if you wish. I will have a couple fire water barrels there, 55 gallon drums, for safety reasons. Well I sure hope you all are getting excited about this. Even if we have some foul weather we still should have a lot of fun. Am I forgetting anything people? Need your input.

Dick your benevolent dictator  >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2008, 08:48:08 pm »
Dick, If that many show up we will need at least two 55gal drums of fire water!  :o  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2008, 07:22:38 am »
Hey Pat you bring up a good point.   ???  This event is not like the "closed" ones we have been having. I know it goes without saying that we should refrain from the "fire water" of the "Jack Daniels" kind while the public is there. At least out in the open.   ;)  We cannot put Dennis or Bud Capp in any danger of liability for any incidences. Enough said on that. Lets be cool.   8)
  A friend of mine, now get this name, Tony "Flint", who works at GE in Mebane loaned me a two quart jar of arrow/spear heads, broken and whole, he has found in the Burlington area. See attached photo. He will also bring a small box with some great finds to show some of our more knowledgable "experts" to help him identify them. I have provided a glass case so the public can see what artifacts are in this area if they "look" for the right stuff. He has invited me to go look for some "stuff" after the event. I am excited about this. I have found three pieces at Dennis's in the last four weeks, the latest on Sunday after a torrential rain. I will point out the location. I will have them there also.  Dennis does not mind any of you looking for "stuff". Have at it. He has promiced to loan us some spectacular pieces he and his Father have found in the Burlington area.
   Hey TJ, do you think you and BOO can make it. Sure would like to have a blacksmith there, and by the way, you to.  ;D  People are always fascinated by them working iron etc. Here's hoping.   ::)
   I cannot tell you how excited Jim and I are about this event. You people are going to make or break this thing. I am very optimistic you will be a model for our group of Primitive Archers and Paleo friends. At last count there was to be twenty five to thirty Knappers there. How about that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:19:12 am by DBernier »