Author Topic: Advice for a kids bow please (New pics)  (Read 2673 times)

Offline dbb

Advice for a kids bow please (New pics)
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
Im making a bow for my nephew and i had settled on a scaled down version of my birch flatbow but made of rowan instead.
When i cut the profile i ran into a big "bubble" of bark 7" from the tip on the very last cut.so i cursed a bit and remade both tips to molly style and managed to remove all "bad" wood.
But i wonder if im left with enough wood  to make a safe bow due to the taper of the limbs.The bow is 47"ttt the working limb is 12" long, a bit over 1 1/2" at the fade and 1"at the end
and the levers is close to 8"
I planned it to be 25# @25" so it will be fairly weak
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:39:37 am by dbb »
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Advice for a kids bow please
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »
what is the thickness taper from the fades to the tips? You could always glue some wood to the levers to stiffen them up a bit?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:46:58 pm »
I was lucky enough to cut the profile first so i  have enough wood in the levers 22millimetre or just under 1"(never learned those fractions of inches :-\)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:51:44 pm »
Well to tell ya the truth i have never made a molly so I am sure someone else may be able to help you better than me but I would just go for it and see how it comes out, if it breaks you will have your answer ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline dbb

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:04 pm »
Well to tell ya the truth i have never made a molly so I am sure someone else may be able to help you better than me but I would just go for it and see how it comes out, if it breaks you will have your answer ;D
As long it is me that breaks it i dont mind,i just dont want to scare away a possible primitive archer  ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:15 pm »
I hear ya I have only broke two so far and they were both on the tiller tree (knock on wood!) I am still scared when I hand a bow to someone and say try this one out and I even hand them a arrow that is short enough they cant over draw it and I still have that though in the back of my head, not sure ill ever get over it ;D

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:03:22 pm »
I think you may have enough wood for that low of weight... I know that Ken75 tapers the limbs on some of his molles to give them a more circular bend.. So you should be fine especially for that low of weight... I would give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Offline dbb

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:16:13 pm »
@ Elktracker i will tiller the bow to 25" thats 3" over his draw so i guess it will be ok until he grows a bit
@ Ifrit617 Thanks,that was what i wanted to hear,i was guessing it would be ok just wanted a second opinion from someone with more experience than me...thats most of you guys ;D

/Mikael

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:25:18 pm »
Look forward to seeing it finished and the boy shooting it! ;D (fingers crossed)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
I'm far from being experienced:)... But I think it will turn out great.. Good luck.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:33:41 pm »
I'm far from being experienced:)... But I think it will turn out great.. Good luck.

X2

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »
nice start to the molle, the seceret to mollegabet is smooth transitions at the narrow upper and smooth taper at the tips. i have made two molle's, one red oak and one osage(my current shooter and favorite bow. the molle has one cool design area i love , the design allows for a low brace heigth(mine is 5 inches) and is low stacking,and fast and smooth. the tiller has a bend more toward the handle and the wide mid limbs store energy and the narrow uppers help with speed and accuracy.yours looks great so far just go slow and get ya an outside caliper it will help your thicknesses and also inadvertendtly your tiller.hope this helps.     
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline dbb

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:20:16 am »
Some pics at the work in progress.I havent cut nocks yet but thats next,so far i just bent it carefully over the knee to judge tiller and strenght.
As im getting closer i want to be able to se tiller better,im also thinking of reinforcing the pin nocks with buffalohorn just for safety.

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Advice for a kids bow please (New pics)
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 02:56:11 pm »
Starting to look good. I would smooth up the fades a bit and reduce  the depth of the levers some... They don't really need to be more than 3/4 inch thick tapering to 1/2 thick and it helps to reduce tip mass... Also I would not worry about pin mocks especially on a Molly because they will be almost 1/2 inch deep... The nocks on the Molle I just posted are only about 1/8 inch wide but are plenty strong.

Jon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Advice for a kids bow please (New pics)
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »
Looking good so far! thanks for the update! ;D