Author Topic: arrow wood  (Read 1530 times)

Offline joesharp79

arrow wood
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »
Hi every one its been awhile since I've been around I was wanting to make some arrows and was wondering if u guys could tell me what the best arrow woods are ty very much every one here has helped me out alot

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: arrow wood
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »
Are you buying the shafts. Do you want to make shoot shafts, cane of hand planed shafts? Where do you live? My sit e may help you get started. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
I live in w.v. near the Ohio river but I have never been able to find any river cane in this area I know a few people who have bamboo groins but it is big stuff even if the new growth is big around id like to try and make my own shafts out of a local wood that I can find around here but id like to do it without halving to buy a dowel and tenon cutter to make them I here people talk about making there's from popular dowels im scares of that I work with alot of wood and we have tulip popular here and it is a very soft but easy to work with wood and im afraid to stick another arrow in my arm that'd no fun lol but if u tell me its a great arrow wood ill try it id like to try and get away from having to buy my shafts any good arrows woods in this area Idk I hope so ty u all u all have been a great help for me in the last I love this site there is some much to learn from all of u and ty again fir all ur help

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:01:06 am »
Poplar is probably one of the least likely woods that you're going to run through your arm Joe. One of the finest arrow material around. Just watch for any small pin knots that are sparse at best.

You may have sourwood shoots in your area. Seach that out. A great natural arrow material also. Pretty much any hardwood shoot that looks arrow size will work. Trick to making great shooting arrows is seasoned wood. Even boards you purchase will probably need additional seasoning time. Just dry wood doesn't cut it for arrows, it needs to be dry and "seasoned". Good luck........Art

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:43 am »
That was some great info on ur site George that helps alot ty very much and Art that was also great info I have around 3,000 board feet of 1" rough cut popular left over that I sawed out from building an addition on to my house I should be able to get one or two arrows out of that lol it has been drying in there barn for 3u years now do u think that will be to dry or just right and also one more question what part would make the better arrows the heart wood????  Ty both for the great info I can't thank u all enough for being here ...........joe

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »
Your light to cream colored wood will make your heaviest spined shafts and the brown to green the lighter spined I noticed Joe. So look at the color of your poplar boards instead of when it came from. Three years seasoning is the magic number for me............Art

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 03:11:14 am »
arrow wood in mn posted a similar question that i just responded to.  check out my responce there, multi-floral rose is my wood of choice.  good luck and have fun!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)