Author Topic: Some hunting arrows for this coming year  (Read 6953 times)

Offline half eye

Some hunting arrows for this coming year
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:57:12 am »
Here are some black walnut arrows I'm gonna take to hunting camp this year. The upper 2 have .080" steel heads and the middle2 have the replicas of heads found in Michigan (southern part from the mound-builder society) and the last 2 are copies of stone heads found near the site of old Fort Detriot.

Ken 75 knapped the stone for me, which is some very hard Texas Rock and some very hard flint maybe from Tennessee or Kentucky. Anyways the heads are hard and tough!!!! thanks Ken. All the arrows weigh within 40 grains of each other and I do not find this a problem at my usual 15 yards and under shooting distances. Hope ya like them. Allmost forgot, the shafts are 3/8" and the fletch is turkey secondaries.
rich

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Some hunting arrows for this coming year
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:04:43 pm »
Good looking arrows, Rich.  Be sure to post a pic when the fletchings are blood stained, too.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »
Those are some nice looking arras Rich. You have a way with wood, weather it's bows or arrows ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:08:12 pm »
Nice arrows, Rich.  Don't ever remember seeing Black Walnut arrows b4.  How do they compare to Poplar or Ceder?

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:53:47 am »
great job,whats the total weight of each arrow.
john 3:16

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
WV, they make very fine arrows but they are heavier than ya might think. The biggest thing about them I have noticed is that they are very flexible (bendy) but they get straight in a big hurry also so they fly really nice and come off the bow real well.

rover, The average for the 6 arrows is 635 grains......the lowest weight is 623.8 grains and heaviest is 664 grains. Dont much like averages cause they are a little missleading. Of these 6 arrows there are 4 between 623 and 641 and the other 2 are 658 and 664. Hope that gives a good idea.
rich

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »
what poundage is the bow?

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:30:10 pm »
rover, I shoot 50# @ 26.....well anywhere's between 45 to 50 @ 26. I dont shoot farther than 15 yards, no matter how tempting.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:09:52 pm »
my cane arrows are about 625 and the bow I'm going to use them on is 50# and I draw the line at 15yards as well.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »
That's a recipe for a solid through and through, sir. Scary sharp 2 blade and it's tenderloin and buttered toast sandwichs ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 06:37:12 pm »
That's a recipe for a solid through and through, sir. Scary sharp 2 blade and it's tenderloin and buttered toast sandwichs ;D

Now you went and made me drool Rich...too early in the summer to think about Tenderloin~  ::)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:27:43 pm »
Rich are those hand planed shafts or doweled, either by you or store bought?   I've not tried BW for arrows but I do have an Art Butner aspen arrow with 4 point BW footed fore shaft and footed BW selfnock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:10:27 pm »
Pat, I have some made 2 different ways.....first, these are 3/8 made my Ken 75 running them through a dowel cutter....second I will rip my walnut 1/2 X 1/2 inches and then turn those into octagons on my belt sander....then take the octagon down to 16 flat sides, then I sand them by hand to round.  It's way easier with a doweling cutter I'm thinkin. By keeping everything "flat-plane till I hand sand it's real easy to see if I'm off any over the length.

Not very sofisticated but I can get them done that way.
rich

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »
I use a thumb plane and do the same technique of reduction and rounding. I've only made pine and poplar arrow shafts. Most of my arrows these days are cane or hardwood shoots. Never thought of the belt sander. I'll have to give it a try.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »
great lookin set Rich , hope you blood them this coming year