Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 35414 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2011, 01:12:52 am »
Keenan, if we're lucky we'll get a good soaking rain from Irene but there is a better chance we won't get any at all. It would take more than a little class 3 huricane to keep me from Colorado!  ;)
  Thanks for the weather report, Brock. I'm hoping for cooler and a little rain won't hurt anything as long as the elk cooperate.  ;)
  I'm kind of feeling lost. Everything that's going with me has been sent and I have nothing to mess with.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2011, 01:24:21 am »
Pat, Marcia may be thinking different. ::)  Lulyn likes to get me away from all the "Stupid Sticks"  LOL

Offline Little John

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:17 am »
Made anothertrip in  to the hunting camp yesterday, Got our food and my hunting clothes in and stashes hopefully in a bear safe location hanging from a rope tied between two trees. Got pretty wet doing it as our rain slickers were over our saddles. One lightening struck so close there was no time at all between the flash and the report, that will make you jump. Did not get the tent up yet but at least no bear will be ripping into it to snoop around, we can do it when we get there or put up the small tent for the first night if need be. No time to scout but will just have to trust in it as we are pretty well committed to this spot and I think it will be good. Pat, Kathie said there is a heavy package at the post office to be picked up so must be your pack, she will get it tommorrow.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2011, 02:55:05 am »
Home sweet home!  ;D  I can smell the air in my mind. And wool overshirts. I like that!
Thanks for the pics.  ;)  ...and for all the work you guys are doing.  8)
Boy, that pack got there quick. I guess the bows and arrows tomorrow or Wednesday.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2011, 03:13:40 am »
keenan im in the roosvelt natl forest between walden steamboat way back in there  :laugh:seen that huge moose again wish i had a tag but not gonna happen dang my luck :'( seein some bear sign  kennth last time i was down there we had bear sign all over  b safe watch for em told my boys bring pistols  been havin plms here in no colo game fish shot one the other day for biting 2 campers  it s raining lite now  news says u guys may get some down there  ha  hope u do  have fun brock

Offline Little John

« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:30 am »
Pat, your pack, bow tube, and arrow box are all here and in good hands. Put in a 14 hour day yesterday and sure am beat from it but can see the end of my project and on deadline before our hunt. Sure am going to enjoy some time off to do the things we enjoy. Not too woried about the bears unless one claims our kill before we can get it to a safeplace, just dont want one to get into camp and tear stuff up. Two years ago one made a new door into my tent and re arranged the furniture before the hunt, several years back one tore up my camp and ate all my food while I was out hunting. I think Keenan has an intresting bear story. Oh the mountains in the pictures are the mighty Weeminuche wilderness. The largest, most remote, most rugged area in Colorado with the hardest to climb 14er in Colorado.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bcbull

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:56 am »
kennth now i gotcha  haha i know about where ur at haha now u know why i carry a hand gun all the time u rember my buddy ed wiesman haha lol u know the rest of the story  :-X sure do miss bein down there that area was home for me as a boy ur country sure does  look a lot better than here  weve had so much pine beetle kill somtime it just makes me sick to look at thing s  have a great hunt get some rest  and get ready for the fun bro ,,   ok kennan out w the stoy lolol   ;D brock

Offline Keenan

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2011, 12:55:10 am »
Great pics Kenneth.  Lulyn took one look and decided we need to get our horses up in the high country soon,   Getting very close for guys.

Brock , Everyone's heard my boring ol stories. :o Besides not sure witch one he's talking about. The night something was panting very heavy right beside our tent. Or Maybe when the side wall of the tent pushed in in the middle of the night.  Then there was the 9 yrd bear. But this is Pat's thread and we are all eagerly waiting for those stories. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2011, 01:58:23 am »
Glad everything got there OK. Open the bow tube. Elkie is in there for you with her new "look" and the Medecine bow is in the tube too. In the arrow box there are 3 fluflus made from black walnut shafts Ken75 sent me and feathers from Matt. A couple of those are for you too. Try them all and pick the ones you like.   
One of the tents Kenneth was talking about is the one I slept in last trip. It was well ventilated!!!  ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2011, 02:01:51 am »
That wasn't very nice Kenneth, those pictures have given me cabin fever. Now I am really wishing I was there.  :'( :'(
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:17 am »
There's still time, Justin. Put that roof off for another week. They will understand. Kenneth brought the big wall tent for this hunt so there is plenty of room!  ;)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:46 am »
I hear you Justin! Beautiful pictures....I made three different trips hunting in Colorado, and they all three were successful! Oh, no animals taken, and only one missed shot. But successful from just having the privilege of experiencing such grand mountains. Hearing the bulls bugle always sent shivers up and down my spine! That sound has got to be the wildest sound in nature.

I'm sure yall will have a great experience, even if taking an elk doesn't happen...but best of wishes to you that it does! I'm really looking forward to pictures and stories, the next best thing to being there ourselves! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2011, 11:28:44 pm »
Thanks Brock, Justin,Keenan, and Greg for your support. wish we could turn it into a totaly Primitive Archer community hunt. Maybe next time. Pat I did open the bow tube this morning and what a splendid suprise, Elkie is to die for with her new looks. The rattler skins of yesteryear were beautiful beyond description, but the rawhide with its primitive hunting mural is just too much. I just love it more than any thing. I liked the cane handle wrap on the old Elkie, it was gorgeous to look at but really love the feel and grip of the new handle. could not wait to get home from work to try her out and she shoots perfectly with my hunting arrows and dead quiet. I shot the medicine bow also, what a treat. Took pics of both and will post later. Oh Kathie got our trail mix made today, looks to be about 20 pounds worth, really good stuff. Man oh Man, if I wasn't pumped for this hunt I am now.        Kenneth

Offline johnston

« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »
Would like to thank you fellers for sharing your adventures. Kenneth, you and Kathie live in heaven and have the good sense to know it.
Pat it looks to be an over the top trip and I gotta say it seems you fit right in with these fine folks. But all of you please remember the most important thing .....Post plenty of pictures !!!!

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2011, 01:16:58 am »
Lane, on my first trip out to hunt with Kenneth we had never met. He asked once on PA "What would be your dream hunt?" and I answered that I had always dreamed about hunting elk. Kenneth called me a few days later and asked me to come out and hunt elk with him and eight months later I was out there. My daughter was freaked that I would head out to a wilderness area with a guy I met on the internet...a possible serial killer!  ::)  I think Kathie may have thought the same thing about me, the serial killer, coming into her home but she never showed it and we all hit it off very well.
  Well, Kenneth wasn't a serial killer(me neither  ;D )and we became very good friends on that trip. He and Kathie treated me like I was part of the family. Being able to go back out and seeing both of them and spending time in the high country with my high country mentor is quite a thrill and treat for me.   8)
  Kenneth, glad you like Elkie's new look. I think the pictographs tell our story!  8)  Even the fox we saw going in last time got his fill!

here is the new look that Elkie is sporting these days...

...and the kill...