Author Topic: Trying Again...  (Read 3243 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Trying Again...
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:49:15 pm »
I'm still trying to create a point good enough to hunt with.  It was really beneficial to get help from Patrick when we had our get-together.  The top 5 points I made out there with him.  I got some more time and tried again yesterday.  It seems that most every point goes one of 2 ways.  I start OK and even do some nice thinning flakes until I'm getting close to what I want, then I mis-hit and get a step, followed by more mis-hits and before you can say "oops" there's a big flat spot where the edge used to be.  Or, I mess up the angle on my thinning flakes and end up with a nice hump out in the middle I can't do anything with.  It's insanely frustrating...and insanely fun at the same time.  Anyway, in the 2 pictures the row of 5 I made out at Cross Plains with Patrick and the bottom 3 are from yesterday.  I need another training session, but until then much rock will pay the ultimate price. ;)

George

St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Trying Again...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
Them look good George! I've seen plenty of artifacts that look exactly the same. All you need is tonnage and some more sit down's with folks. Man, I hope we can get together!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:14:38 pm »
  I agree with cowboy those are good starts. It only takes practice you'll see.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:56:02 pm »
Thanks. :) 

Wahoo, I had a great Father's day worth of knapping!  Only tried 2 spalls and got 2 points and I think I can hunt with these.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:57 am »
Yep, i think them will hunt - overnight success ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:58 am »
Yer gettin a good start. When I first started knapping mine were not that good.Keep knapping & and they will get better. Remember centerline, abrasion, stabilize your point, & don't be scared to break it. It's just a rock until it's finished. Good job on your points.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:02 am »
   Good job there huntable.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:17:47 pm »
Wow!  Sweet!  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »
look pretty nice to me, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:58:16 am »
Thanks guys.  I played some more tonight (instead of doing the mowing I should have been doing :) ).  Broke 2 and finally got 2 that might work.  They fought me all the way though.  The one on the left is 7/8" wide, right at the minimum.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:08 am »
You are doing great.  You might find some very interesting videos on youtube.  One guy you should look at is paleomanjim.  He gives blow by blow demostrations in short 10min sessions.  I really learned a lot from him and I did like you are by posting my work for comments and incorporating suggestion into my technique. Dido what tower said above. Also I wrote a post back in jan that had links to two article that discused biface reduction that I found the articles very interesting.  I ill look and see if I can find a link for you.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:20 am »
Ok here is the link look for the pdf at the top of the first page
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23715.0.html
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28:06 pm »
Looks Mesolithic!  U would be suprised whats some of the points looked like that killed some pretty big critters!  Keep it up I still am a Newb.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  Iowa, those PDF links don't work anymore.  Too bad.  I've watched most of paleomanjim's and AllergicHobbit's  video's.  Thinning is my challenge but it's coming.  I'm having so much fun, I really can't believe it.  The guy who sits in the office with me at work has asked for lessons.  How funny is that? :o  Making bows didn't interest him, but he's intrigued with the knapping.  Gotta love it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:37:45 pm »
Those are looking good, George. Now you need to take the glove off and bleed some. ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?